Colorado Property

Mikeflies

My wife & I maybe looking to buy some land in Colorado and just wanted some suggestions. I have hunted in the Gunnison area & near Rifle and liked both. We want to buy about 100-200 acres and be near the mountains so east Colorado is most likely out. We like the Durango area, but it maybe out of my means. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction by some of the CO natives. I just want to be able to buy something soon, before I can't afford to even think about it and move there as soon as my son graduates from school in about 10yrs. I know 10yrs is a long way off, but, if I buy now then I can slowly prepare for the day we build and move there. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you & God Bless.

My wife & I maybe looking to buy some land in Colorado and just wanted some suggestions. I have hunted in the Gunnison area & near Rifle and liked both. We want to buy about 100-200 acres and be near the mountains so east Colorado is most likely out. We like the Durango area, but it maybe out of my means. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction by some of the CO natives. I just want to be able to buy something soon, before I can't afford to even think about it and move there as soon as my son graduates from school in about 10yrs. I know 10yrs is a long way off, but, if I buy now then I can slowly prepare for the day we build and move there. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you & God Bless.

This is an interesting topic... does anyone have any success/experience with buying rangeland? I've never been able to figure out a way to make it cash flow. Does anyone have a different perspective, or does anyone see something I might be missing when I put a pencil to paper?

I looked around that area,Gunnison, while I was out a few times and couldn't believe the cost for what you got.For 1-200 acres, your going to have to be a very rich man from what I've seen.If I remember correctly, going south of Colorado Springs it gets cheaper.Any mountain land I saw was big bucks

This is an interesting topic... does anyone have any success/experience with buying rangeland? I've never been able to figure out a way to make it cash flow. Does anyone have a different perspective, or does anyone see something I might be missing when I put a pencil to paper?
Unless you can get it very cheap, I doubt there's a way to get a positive cash flow out of rangelands. One could lease it for grazing, but that is a scale issue. One would be hard pressed to get $20/month/animal and on rangeland in many areas and that would only be for a portion of the year. IME, the private leases getting that much for a lease the landowner is responsible for infrastructure installation and maintenance. Those that require the lessee to maintain the infrastructure fetch a lower price.

Depending on what one wanted to do with the land, I would be a bit leery about buying any rangeland that doesn't have water rights as well. No water makes it tough to due much more than visit. Similarly, water rights/shares can be leased out, which could help somewhat with the cash flow issue.

IMO, rangelands are all about scale. The more the better and the more options one has. A couple hundred acres of most rangelands will only be good for a camping/cabin type fun and be hard to generate much income from.

Unless you can get it very cheap, I doubt there's a way to get a positive cash flow out of rangelands. One could lease it for grazing, but that is a scale issue. One would be hard pressed to get $20/month/animal and on rangeland in many areas and that would only be for a portion of the year. IME, the private leases getting that much for a lease the landowner is responsible for infrastructure installation and maintenance. Those that require the lessee to maintain the infrastructure fetch a lower price.

Depending on what one wanted to do with the land, I would be a bit leery about buying any rangeland that doesn't have water rights as well. No water makes it tough to due much more than visit. Similarly, water rights/shares can be leased out, which could help somewhat with the cash flow issue.

IMO, rangelands are all about scale. The more the better and the more options one has. A couple hundred acres of most rangelands will only be good for a camping/cabin type fun and be hard to generate much income from.

This is what I've found, unless you are a geologist and find a bakken type situation before the pro's doing it for a living with the oil companies, all the land I've looked at was a non-starter.... Thank you Ted Turner.

Dont fall for the land in the San Luis Valley LOL!!!! I see that place advertised a lot, but there isnt jack there. I'd look around Buena Vista/Salida area for starters. Decent hunting and the Arkansas river goes through both and they have an added bonus of being in the "Banana belt"

Dont fall for the land in the San Luis Valley LOL!!!! I see that place advertised a lot, but there isnt jack there. I'd look around Buena Vista/Salida area for starters. Decent hunting and the Arkansas river goes through both and they have an added bonus of being in the "Banana belt"

Twin Lakes is hard to beat! John :D

Whats land go for around Salida?I love that area,and would be a great place to have some land for my future retirement home.If there was any decent work there I'd move there tomorrow and run my contracting business

Thanks for the info. We really do not expect to make any money off the land, just build a small retirement style home and have an area to either ride the horses or the ATV's. Hunting would be a bonus on the land be buy, but being near public hunting areas is a must. Gunnison maybe way out of my league from what my wife said last night after talking to a real estate lady yesterday. She is going to call about Salida & Canon City and go from there. I have worked out West for the last two yrs and just love the mountains, but my son loves the coast and beach for now. Soon enough, we will be ready to move and hopefully have a place to call my own. Take care & God Bless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back