Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado OTC unit 22 & 211

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

I have been pretty quiet on huntalk lately. I have been gathering gear, hiking to get in shape a lot, and e-scouting to find access for elk hotspots; this includes listening and reading massive amounts of articles and listening to podcasts on how to hunt elk successfully. There is sooo much great information out there I wanted to find out for myself where elk tend to be and where you find them ;-)

After all my research I’m really focusing on my otc archery hunt in September Colorado units 22 and 211. Not giving away specifics; I know water is a big part of elk habitat. There are some large water areas in these unit(s). Has anyone had success in the past with unit 22 and/or 211? Or am I wasting my time...? Lots of BLM land here as well. I don’t think I can overnight camp on BLM land like I can on national forest lands; thoughts? Access is a big issue since according to my onX mapping private land boarders a lot of the blm lands. Meeker seems like a great area; I love the elevation options for elk habitat and lots of benches for timber bedding. I’m not looking for someone to point to the elk for me but just say yay or nay...your on the right track or I’d look somewhere else. Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m laying it all out there when it comes to this trip. I’m highly motivated to be successful in this endeavor; it’ll be a lot of fun either way but I’d like to give myself the best chance possible to harvest a respectable bull elk. Thanks again and God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunt 22 and have had good success during opening week of archery. We focus entirely on water holes. The White River herd is the largest elk herd in the world so, yes, there are elk there. Maybe find an area that has great habitat but very limited water sources. A single water hole where there is no other options for miles is a gold mine IMO.

Regarding the BLM land, you are incorrect in your assumption that you can't camp on it. It is open to public use such as camping, hiking, and hunting just like the NF land, so feel free to camp on it.

Regarding the hunting units, I have no experience with 22 but I have successfully found elk on public lands in 211 in all seasons (archery through late rifle). There will be other hunters, as well. You are wise to be careful about the private/public land boundaries and some public land is entirely land-locked and inaccessible...that's just the fact of life in many areas. Meeker is a fine place to be in the fall.

I hope you have the very best of luck.

I don’t think I can overnight camp on BLM land like I can on national forest lands; thoughts

BLM is open camping unless posted otherwise.

-- Edit: That's what I get for opening the thread 2 hours ago :D

I was wondering how your hunt went in 211 and 22? I am planning my first solo trip out there in a few weeks and wondered if you had any ideas on what worked well for you or what you would have done differently. Thanks for the help.

A
I hunt 22 and have had good success during opening week of archery. We focus entirely on water holes. The White River herd is the largest elk herd in the world so, yes, there are elk there. Maybe find an area that has great habitat but very limited water sources. A single water hole where there is no other options for miles is a gold mine IMO.

BLM is open camping unless posted otherwise.

-- Edit: That's what I get for opening the thread 2 hours ago :D
Blm land is open to camping for up to 14 or 28 days, CO does have some closures to camping and vehicle travel in burn areas from last year...

I was wondering how your hunt went in 211 and 22? I am planning my first solo trip out there in a few weeks and wondered if you had any ideas on what worked well for you or what you would have done differently. Thanks for the help.
Backpack and get away from road access. That way you are not competing with day hunters.

Back