Colorado otc archery for a solo beginner.

I've been hunting the Colorado Rockies for almost 15 years and have been blessed with 12 elk so far. Elk hunting is extremely challenging, and if you are planning on doing it for the first time here by yourself then I would take it easy. I think the best thing to do, as others have mentioned, is to car camp and plan on being mobile. I would definitely not backpack and go all mountain man for safety reasons but also because packing an elk out in the heat of September is nasty. If it's far from camp you may find yourself overwhelmed.

BTW, all 12 of those elk were on public land done from car camps. Being a mountain man is cool, and potentially more successful depending on hunting pressure, but it's not necessary at all.

As for the debate on whether to backpack hunt or trailhead camp, there are pros and cons to both. If you've never hiked Colorado, then you may not know how your body will react to the elevation? It can affect different people to different degrees. The country is always bigger, steeper, and tougher than Google Earth will indicate. Backpack hunting sounds great when you're sitting at your computer. The reality of it is, it can be tough. A heavy pack digging into your shoulders on an upslope, combined with eating Spartan meals can make a person re-think that wisdom. Additionally, if you're not into Elk, it's more of an ordeal to pull out of that area, and move somewhere else.
My advice for a first timer is to camp with your vehicle. You'll eat better, have a nice cushy bed to rest in, and have other creature comforts from cook gear, plenty of water, and whatever other amentities you like? Once you get your feet wet in Western hunting, you can always morph into backpack hunting down the road.
As for what to bring, make sure you have a wind checker/puffer, and I'd bring some moleskin in case you get some hot spots. The most comfortable boots you've ever had at home, can work different on steep terrain. Good Luck!

I have the same aspirations as you! I began with a solo, backpack antelope hunt, and it brought my weaknesses front and center in a low risk scenario.

I was FIT enough, but even 7000 feet messed with my head a bit, and I hadn't considered it.

My boots that worked great on flat land DESTROYED my feet in broken country!!

Aside from gear, even tho I dropped my goat in his tracks... I should have practice my shooting a lot more.

Lovin all the input It is helping me plan this out a lot. Thank you everybody

Get the numbers for some outfitters/packers in the area. They usually aren't out yet in archery season, but they will drive some horses up and haul you out if you need help. I packed in 5.1 miles, and set up shop. It snowed 3 feet the day I shot my elk, and got one trip out before my leisurely stroll turned into an unmanageable slush mess. I had a backup plan, and it was priceless. I'm not saying it's going to snow, but in late September, you never know. Just have a backup plan. And FYI, if there are enough elk for an outfitter to get business there, that's a good place to begin a search on GE.

I live East as well and have done 3 Colorado DIY Elk hunts. The elevation change is REALLY tough to deal with! Arrive at least 3 days prior to the hunt if possible and scout from your vehicle. This will give you a little extra time to Acclimate to the altitude. Like someone said -go easy especially the first couple days. Look for fresh elk sign but don't push the elk while scouting. Use your nose as well as your eyes and ears. You can smell their beds. I think it's a good plan to have someone to hunt with even if you don't always hunt together. If you locate Elk several miles from your truck I think it very useful to set up a basic camp within a mile of them. Then you aren't having to walk 5 miles at zero dark thirty and the 5 miles back to the truck so often. I use freeze dried food a lot as it's light and filling. You just need to add water and heat. If you get an Elk it helps a lot if someone will help you pack it out. Also get some quality Elk size Game bags. They are very handy and weigh very little.

Last edited:
One of the biggest mistakes rookie elk hunters make is spiking in.
If you spike in and there are no elk or you blow the elk out your sitting in a drainage void of elk. Knowing when to be aggressive and when not to be takes experience.
By truck camping you can be more mobile. Hunting different areas as need be.
Some of the best Co otc guys have multiple spots and they can even be in different units.
On a spike hunt solo and a downed elk. Your looking at 5 to 7 trips to get the elk and camp out.

One of the biggest mistakes rookie elk hunters make is spiking in.
If you spike in and there are no elk or you blow the elk out your sitting in a drainage void of elk. Knowing when to be aggressive and when not to be takes experience.
By truck camping you can be more mobile. Hunting different areas as need be.
Some of the best Co otc guys have multiple spots and they can even be in different units.
On a spike hunt solo and a downed elk. Your looking at 5 to 7 trips to get the elk and camp out.

Being from PA myself. Western hunting is now comparison. Let me just but it like this. Elk hunting in the west is more of survival with hunting sprinkled in. If you can't survive you can't hunt. First time I agree with the car camping. Think light. 14 miles in the mountains can take a toll of your body. Calorie intake and hydration. I suggest you try to find a partner to go with. It helps. Just a couple tips good luck.

To add to the boot story, I wear a different set of boots just for hunting. And I don't walk around on the flats with them on. Break them in going up hill and down hill. 70% of guys I guided that went home early did due to foot problems. Good luck man. Work wins in the elk game.

To add to the boot story, I wear a different set of boots just for hunting. And I don't walk around on the flats with them on. Break them in going up hill and down hill. 70% of guys I guided that went home early did due to foot problems. Good luck man. Work wins in the elk game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back