Colorado opportunities and guidance

ibchez

Hi all.
2 things are lining up this year with where I have enough points for a few hunts coupled with a family vacation to Breckenridge, and can do some summer scouting without cashing in any home equity. I have the points for a mule deer 2nd or 3rd rifle in 49, 37, 15, and the grand county units 18 and 28. I have enough points for the first rifle elk in pile of units, but I think the routt national forest seems where I would want to concentrate. Places like unit 5,14, 15 etc... I do not mind other hunters as I hunt public land for deer and turkeys in Missouri, and you have to work really hard to find your holes. so a little pumpkin patch in some spots wont bother me too much.
I do not want anybody's spots. I just wanted to a general idea of anybody's experiences good or bad. I would love to see some animals with a weapon in hand and experience some beautiful country that would be a success for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I am just experiencing some analysis paralysis.

Last edited:
I think figure out if you are elk hunting, mule deer hunting, or trying to do both? If it is both, get the MD tag and grab a OTC elk… first season elk is not always the best season… In my experience, 1st , 2nd or 3rd for elk is always a gamble (weather dependent) whereas deer is always better toward the rut… I have hunted the Routt…. But none of those deer units…

I think figure out if you are elk hunting, mule deer hunting, or trying to do both? If it is both, get the MD tag and grab a OTC elk… first season elk is not always the best season… In my experience, 1st , 2nd or 3rd for elk is always a gamble (weather dependent) whereas deer is always better toward the rut… I have hunted the Routt…. But none of those deer units…
Thank you for the thoughts. I would be solo. So as tough as I think I am I think packing a mule deer is feasible elk less so. I think maybe an early mule deer with a bear tag add on as an option?

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on if it is a fun though? Good action, good country etc?
It is a beautiful unit on the east side. Easy road access to wilderness boundaries, then up you go. Remarkably few deer on the east side. Moderate motorized traffic on forest service roads except north and east of Buena Vista where OHV use is extreme, which is also the better deer habitat w lower elevation. Good luck, PM if you like.

I’ve hunted 4&5 in 2nd/3rd seasons. Lots of elk, lots of elk on private. LOTS of hunters on the public. But it’s beautiful country, and some of my best hunting memories were made chasing elk in those areas.

I’ve hunted 4&5 in 2nd/3rd seasons. Lots of elk, lots of elk on private. LOTS of hunters on the public. But it’s beautiful country, and some of my best hunting memories were made chasing elk in those areas.
thanks for the reply.

It is a beautiful unit on the east side. Easy road access to wilderness boundaries, then up you go. Remarkably few deer on the east side. Moderate motorized traffic on forest service roads except north and east of Buena Vista where OHV use is extreme, which is also the better deer habitat w lower elevation. Good luck, PM if you like.
thank you for heads up on OHV traffic. When I backpack hunt here in Missouri and Tennessee getting away from the OHV traffic is key to being able to hunt like I want. If I run into somebody using their boots in its no big deal

IBCHEZ,
Deer could be tough in 4 & 5, they have been hit hard with snow all winter and still snowing up there now. Might have a fair amount of winter kill. 14 & 16 as well

IBCHEZ,
Deer could be tough in 4 & 5, they have been hit hard with snow all winter and still snowing up there now. Might have a fair amount of winter kill. 14 & 16 as well
And CPW has plans to cut limited license allocations by at least 40% in the units discussed above, along w the rest of Bears Ears and White River DAUs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back