Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado moose 171

Congrats! And got her out whole. Is that some sort of hoist in the bed of the truck?
A2B8815A-5F3F-4980-A56B-1ACD413297AB.jpeg
Hell yeah!!! Hope you had something stronger than 550 cord! Congrats!!

Yep, knowing my limits I built a moose recovery system at home. Harbor Freight and some recycled steel gave me 2500lbs of pulling force. I also ordered 500’ of nylon rope from Amazon. All total about a 160 buck worth of back breaking savings. As long as we got one that was going to be retrievable. That’s why we passed in the first opportunity.

So we spent today covering the unit and looking for moose. We got a pretty good layout of it and saw one cow way up high. I feel we were very blessed to find the cows we did right out of the gate. If anyone has this tag in the future please feel free to reach out to me via PM. It’s a very huntable unit with a lot of moose.

That is a very clever and useful device you constructed. Congrats on the moose.
I set it up that I could use a pulley on my goose neck ball to redirect the cable up that ramp. It pulled her to where you see her half in. Then I had to use the portable and a gambrel to get her hind in. So when I took the pic I had just removed the main winch and the portable was holding her. It actually worked pretty slick.

The hardest part of the whole recovery was that first creek crossing. It was a 3’ sheer bank I had to pull her up and over. I had to use all the pullies I had to reduce the load on the portable and then pull with the truck rope. That part took about two hours along with the help of two nice gentlemen that stopped.

Funny, one of the two gentlemen is a buddy of mine… I heard this story yesterday….when I saw the picture of your ramp I knew it was you….
Your determination to get it out whole is admirable.
Congratulations!
I never got their names, tell him thanks again.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back