Colorado Lion and Bobcat Ballot Initiative Update

Why do you think hunters don’t care, IdahoNick?
The typical support from non-houndsman for similar rule changes in the past three years in Utah, Idaho and Colorado have shown very little support outside of the houndsman community.

Idaho, Utah and Colorado's initiatives are different, but all are to the direct detriment of the sport of hound hunting.

In both Utah and Idaho, deer and elk guys went against us, openly, and so continued the destruction of our sport and lifestyle.

Maybe Colorado will surprise. It is a different rule, but with same result. It will more likely be that hunters want more cats dead rather than hunters simply trying to stick together. Whatever the reason, I hope it doesn't pass.

This is not a blanket statement on all non-houndsman. Many hunters understand it, and @Oak, I imagine you're in that group.

My fear is that enough will care until they have to turn in the horns of their ram or antlers of their elk to CPW.

Well, given your apparent lack of knowledge about the effort Colorado sportsmen are giving to fight this attempt to ban cat hunting, I think your blanket statement is BS. What are you doing for Colorado? If you'd like to do something from Idaho, here's a link where you can put your money where your mouth is.
Donate today

We are preparing to fight it down here. Zero issue with houndsmen, no conflict with 98% of our hunting seasons. We have a ton of cats, and bears, and soon to be wolves (more than are already here) if we lose cat management it will further derail conservation efforts in the state. Coloradans for responsible wildlife management is spearheading howl for wildlife is helping, hope like hell we can defeat this idiotic ballot initiative

We are preparing to fight it down here. Zero issue with houndsmen, no conflict with 98% of our hunting seasons. We have a ton of cats, and bears, and soon to be wolves (more than are already here) if we lose cat management it will further derail conservation efforts in the state. Coloradans for responsible wildlife management is spearheading howl for wildlife is helping, hope like hell we can defeat this idiotic ballot initiative
Glad to see some names leading the fight. I was beginning to think Colorado hunters were pretending it didn't exist until its too late.

Give em hell. Keep it out of the ballot.

If I am not mistaken I believe CO BHA has been engaged on this issue for a while. Not sure where they are on a Supreme Court request, though.

I hope the "average" Colorado hunter sees the writing on the wall. Its the average hunter that allows these ballots measures to get past. Thinking this doesn't affect me, I don't hunt mountain lions.

I deal with this all the time in Montana, I go to work and talk about things Fwp or the legislature is trying to do and no one has a clue.
I hope this doesn't get past.

Interesting that they are giving in to allow the harvest for a short time, but a person has to surrender the trophy portion.

I could see the slippery slope going to all big game.
They did a similar thing in California to START with. From there it is just death by a thousand cuts. First it was mountain lions, then wolves, then bears, then bobcats the list will keep growing until it's all covered.

The typical support from non-houndsman for similar rule changes in the past three years in Utah, Idaho and Colorado have shown very little support outside of the houndsman community.

Idaho, Utah and Colorado's initiatives are different, but all are to the direct detriment of the sport of hound hunting.

In both Utah and Idaho, deer and elk guys went against us, openly, and so continued the destruction of our sport and lifestyle.

Maybe Colorado will surprise. It is a different rule, but with same result. It will more likely be that hunters want more cats dead rather than hunters simply trying to stick together. Whatever the reason, I hope it doesn't pass.

This is not a blanket statement on all non-houndsman. Many hunters understand it, and @Oak, I imagine you're in that group.

My fear is that enough will care until they have to turn in the horns of their ram or antlers of their elk to CPW.

This reminds me of how most hound hunters hate trappers and refuse to support them.

I’ve watched trapping rights be taken away over the last several decades. The average hunter doesn’t really care because it doesn’t affect them.

Hopefully the measure is stopped before it makes it to the polls. The last thing we need is more ballot box biology.

Thats the problem in one sentence. Watching isn't going to cut it, it takes action.

Oh, I couldn't agree more.

Keep in mind that not everyone “works” at a cushy federal government job where they have time to pursue life’s recreational problems 98% of the day.
I do find it rather ironic though that people with too much time on their hands are the ones who create most of these ridiculous problems to begin with.
Maybe we can just donate to a "non-profit" to resolve this problem too.

I speak for the majority who are too afraid to say anything for fear of being called the leper......

Oh, I couldn't agree more.

Keep in mind that not everyone “works” at a cushy federal government job where they have time to pursue life’s recreational problems 98% of the day.

I do find it rather ironic though that people with too much time on their hands are the ones who create most of these ridiculous problems to begin with.

Maybe we can just donate to a "non-profit" to resolve this problem too.
Everyone has an excuse for just watching things happen.

They did a similar thing in California to START with. From there it is just death by a thousand cuts. First it was mountain lions, then wolves, then bears, then bobcats the list will keep growing until it's all covered.
Yup. I hunted the last year hounds were allowed for bear.

This reminds me of how most hound hunters hate trappers and refuse to support them.

I’ve watched trapping rights be taken away over the last several decades. The average hunter doesn’t really care because it doesn’t affect them.

Hopefully the measure is stopped before it makes it to the polls. The last thing we need is more ballot box biology.
I support trapping, hold a trapping license, and hunt with hounds. I've had many dogs caught in traps over the years. Most (if not all) hound hunters I know don't have a problem with trappers. They just release the dogs and move on.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back