Colorado GMU 511

Outdoorayres

Hey guys, not looking for cheats or anything like that, just some insight hopefully! This is out first full fall in colorado, and our first ever elk seasons! My wife hunted elk 2nd rifle in colorado, did not harvest. She was only on military lands, gmu 591, and pinion canyon, consistently had issues with "driving hunters" or "road hunters" busting her hunts. Almost had a couple different bulls though. I have a 3rd season rifle tag, and Military lands will be closed. This year I'm trying to get someone new (co-worker) into the hunting community onto a bull to help set the future passion of big game hunting, even though I have never harvested an elk. We were looking into the pike national forest in gmu 511, behind the air force academy. Would anyone have any insight for late season in that area? I figured with how mountainous it would offer primo "sanctuary" spots? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

I'm not sure you'd be able to to get a tag for the 2020 season at this point. I've spent a bit of time near the academy, never seen any elk there but deer and turkeys are like rats (in my experience). Also, the late season cow tag in 511 is is private land only which wouldn't allow you to hunt the national forest.

If you work hard and scout it’s possible. Drew back on two 6x6 bulls up there this year missing one of them. Saw other bulls and cows but never got close.

Good luck!! I am moving out that way this spring and hoping to do some scouting as I'll be living right by 511. I'm actually getting stationed at the USAFA so interested to see if I'll be able to hunt on it!

Theres a lot of pressure here. In the few years ive been going up there after opening weekend of archery they move towards the private... Theres definitely alot of nice bulls up there you just have to be able to work for it. If you want to send a pm i could give you a few more pointers.

Good luck!! I am moving out that way this spring and hoping to do some scouting as I'll be living right by 511. I'm actually getting stationed at the USAFA so interested to see if I'll be able to hunt on it!
Did you figure this out? I’m headed there in a few weeks and looking forward to walking in from USAFA grounds as well. Send me a DM if able.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back