Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado GMU 4 help

Whitetail

Hi guys,

First post here - been lurking for a bit to get a feel for the site. Looks like a good place to sit a spell.

I didn't get drawn for my first season tag and am looking at options. I have a place or two down by Gunnison but want to explore the gazzillion elk in the Elkhead mtns but have never hunted there. I understand the area gets alot of pressure but it is a big area and there should be areas to roam. My plan is to hunt on foot - no horses, no 4-wheelers. I'll likely park at the end of one of the roads, hike in a mile or so, set a tent, hunt from there.

Anyone ever hunt up there in second season? How is the 4-wheeler traffic - looks like most of the trails are closed but that never stopped them in the past in some areas I've hunted..........

Anything anyone care to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Whitetail, welcome aboard. I've hunted 4 quite a few times. It's usually pretty busy -- you've got it pegged if you want to get away from the crowds and 4-wheelers -- hike in and hunt. If you see people on quads/dirt bikes in areas they shouldn't, jot down the plate and turn them in.

Any tips on where the elk go after first season? The most common complaint I've heard is that it's easy pickings the first couple of days of season 1 bt they seem to disappear after that. 30,000 elk can't vanish...................

I'm talking to the biologist and asking about deep/dark/ugly that folks won't go. I also made a huge topo map of GMU 4 and marked a 1 mile line around all entry points I'm aware of. I plan on hunting between the candy wrapper line (my 1 mile buffer) and the horse hunters (I think is 4-5 miles in). The area looks hospitable to foot hunting.

Any ideas or thoughts on finding the elk in second season?

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back