Colorado fishing tackle advise

bradr

I'm planning an elk scouting trip to CO this summer & would like to do some fishing as well while I'm there. I'm not a fly fisherman, only shinning reels for me. Looking to fish streams for cut throats or other species in the streams or mountain lakes. Any advise on lures would be appreciated. Thanks

A light/ultralight spinning reel with some small Mepps type spinning lures. 4lb test.

During summer trips I like to catch grasshoppers and float them into pools or undercut banks with no sinker.
It's great fun catching these little guys.

DSCN0456.JPG

I like the Panther Martin, Vibrax, Rooster Tail and Mepps spinners. On lakes/ponds sometimes a casting bubble and a fly can be a productive way to 'fly fish' without a fly rod.

Like everyone else has said, just about any inline spinner like panther Martin, mepps, rooster tail etc. I backpacked into some high country lakes in CO to fish last summer with a ultralight spinning rod and it was dummy proof fishing. I carried probably 40 different lures and never touched but a couple of them. More importantly, if you are backpacking in anywhere pack some oil and a skillet, I think I gained weight on a backpack trip for the first time ever!

All of the ones mentioned are good, but throw some flies and a casting bubble in your pack as well. Mountain lake bows, brooks and cutts love em. Lots of youtube how to vids

I love the panther Martins. And I have found the cast master in the metallic perch patters is incredible in some lakes and bigger rivers because you can cast them a mile and browns and brookies hammer them.

A few flies and a bubble. A few inline spinners, I like tube jigs as well and marabou jigs. Or just go bobber and a worm haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back