Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Elk

cshire

Struck out on WY pronghorn draw which was my original plan for first out west hunt.
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/draw-results-no-luck.290269/#post-2839899

Took the week vacation in July that would have been used to scout WY and did a loop thru CO instead.
This was more a camping/vacation trip with the wife, but OTC elk was in my mind as well.

Saw lots of beautiful country, lots of wildlife, and some areas that might be work coming back for this fall with lefotver or OTC elk tags.

Looking at leftover tags and OTC tag for decisions this week. Only considering GMU’s that we spent some time in July – will at least know some basics on roads, terrain, camp sites, etc.
Would it be worth focusing on the no antler point restriction areas? Does no point restriction indicate a higher population of elk/more reduction needed?
Would hate to have a point restriction tag/Gmu and have to pass on shootable spikes an rags – not going to be selective at all for a first trip, really just hoping

Also see some leftover pronghorn and deer permits.
Would they offer better chance of success to a first timer and save the elk for another trip?

What would you do if you were a first time flatlander coming out west?

the only rifle otc unit west of i 25 without the 4 point restriction is 591 - that unit is is fort carson anyway, which requires some hurdles to even hunt on.

so, no, don't bother factoring that in at all - all the no restriction units are limited entry other than 591 essentially. anywhere you go hunting that has elk will be the 4 point rule. unless you scrape up a really nice leftover by some miracle, and if you did, it would be silly to shoot a rag in one of those units.

Also as I know if a raghorn is anything less than a 6pt bull, and most bulls with decent genetics are 4pts by their second fall so essentially you are only talking about 1 1/2 year old bulls. Most rag horns are legal.

Going for a tag that is EE - either sex might be advantageous, depending on the unit.

Legal bull...

Also as I know if a raghorn is anything less than a 6pt bull, and most bulls with decent genetics are 4pts by their second fall so essentially you are only talking about 1 1/2 year old bulls. Most rag horns are legal.

Going for a tag that is EE - either sex might be advantageous, depending on the unit.

Legal bull...

Was looking at trying for a leftover tomorrow - a few available for GMU with no point restrictions, some with cow tags, some have either sex tags.
Do they all go faster than I can push buttons at 9AM.
Worst case I get an OTC tag and have another nice vacation in Colorado with a small chance of getting a bull.

Was looking at trying for a leftover tomorrow - a few available for GMU with no point restrictions, some with cow tags, some have either sex tags.
Do they all go faster than I can push buttons at 9AM.
Worst case I get an OTC tag and have another nice vacation in Colorado with a small chance of getting a bull.

I would say if the unit has <10 tags, you won't get one, 10-50 you have a decent chance, over 150 and I would wait till noon to login, because it's initially a disaster to deal with and those won't get sold out.

Generally speaking I would look at those no point restrictions carefully, some of those units the elk are on private almost elusively during the season. Honestly as a NR I definitely wouldn't get a tag in 20,29,391,39,46,461... and would probably avoid the 50, 501.

I would say if the unit has <10 tags, you won't get one, 10-50 you have a decent chance, over 150 and I would wait till noon to login, because it's initially a disaster to deal with and those won't get sold out.

Ya, Some of the areas I am looking at only have a few tags. Maybe I’ll just pass on the lottery madness for them

I have to do another hour or so or research. Will definitely pay attention to access and amounts on private land.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Hopefully I’ll have some luck tomorrow or with the OTC tags

Might as well pick up a tag and go hunting if you've got the time and cash. As far as OTC it doesn't really matter on the unit but if you're coming from out of state I'd stay away from the units close to Denver. Take a close look at the deer and antelope permits as a lot of the leftovers tend to have access issues or virtually no access at all. That said, there are a number of good mule deer licenses on the leftover list. And yes, tomorrow morning will be a shit show, but might as well give it a shot right?

Tried to push buttons as fast as possible for a few cow tags this morning - but no luck with that.
Did pick up a bull tag for 1st rifle season in the big combo unit in the Meeker area.
We camped 2 nights on the eastern edge of this area in July,

Now off to cyber scouting and working out the logistics of an October camping trip.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back