Colorado Elk unit 71

kelley12

Hoping to get some help. My buddy and I applied for first rifle this year and if we cant get that we will be doing 2nd rifle for unit 71. Any recommendations on areas would be a huge help. This will be our first elk hunt and are plan on doing a spike camp.

Not looking for honey holes but general areas on where elk are would be very helpful. I was looking at the Dunton area as it seems good on the map but not positive on where the major elk population is.

Thank in advance

Navajo Lake is very good; head up from Dunton on the Dunton city road, also Killpacker Creek area is good. While ur at it put in for the Lone Mesa State Park hunt, little more money but less people n lot of elk. The areas around Navajo Lake r in the Lizard Head WA so it's foot traffic only but that's a benefit if u work for it. There are some decent camp grounds at the trail heads n the elk in the area seem to have better antler mass than other areas I've hunted around Durango, Cortez, or Dolores.

What is the terrain like for the unit, generally? Pine/ aspen or scrub oak?

The areas I was talking about is NO scrub oak!!! That's one of the main reasons I went there; higher alt, less people (wilderness area=no atv's), n no scrub oak (hate that noisy stuff).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back