Colorado elk hunting advice

We have hunted 12/24 every year for ten years and you will have hunters all over you within two miles of any trailhead camp ground. We hunt with horses and travel two to three hours every morning to get away from the main crowds. Last year, even that was not enough. We packed up and went into GMU 131 and had a great hunt. Almost as many elk with far less traffic. GMU 24 would be my choice for first for second rifle but we will not even consider it for third and fourth. They get way too much snow up there during the first of November. There are far fewer hunter in 24 for the second rifle compared to GMU 12. During the second season in 12, all of the trailhead camps are full and hunters are litterly all over. That is why we switched to third season. After last year, we are leaving GMU 12 for good. Just too many hunters. I would suggest you look in GMU 131 or 13. Almost the same number of elk and far fewer hunters.

Good luck.

Hello everyone,

My father and I are planning a 2020 elk hunt to Colorado for 1st rifle season. Planning for a few days of scouting before the opener. We will be purchasing a preference point this year and plan to hunt a unit that draws with 0 points or 1 point.

After watching some educational videos and reading articles on here and the elk101 website. As well as looking at draw stats on the CPW website we decided to do a bivy type hunt to enable us to get back away from pressure of other hunters.

My question would be is if anyone is willing to give us some advice as to, good units, areas to avoid or just any advice in general either publically or through a private message? Anything constructive would be appreciated, right now our plan is to hunt an area where others don’t want to go due to the post rut senario.

Thank you

Consider doing a drop camp. That will be a big help in the 0-1 point units.

Agree with what people said about 1st rifle in CO dumping a bunch of snow on us in 12. If you listen to the Elk Talk podcast, Randy and Corey state if you’re going in an unknown area, you’re better off camping near your vehicle and staying mobile.

So true, I made this cardinal mistake on my first elk hunt last year during first CO rifle. Had my buddies meet me at the trailhead for a 5 mile walk back into an 80k acre non-motorized zone. Our plan was to hunt from camp and "get away from roads".
The plan couldn't have been more ill conceived, it was 2 feet of snow and 15 degrees before we even got the tent setup. People smarter than me warned me of the orange army and let me tell you , they are not exaggerating. Every 30 minutes someone would walk through and in between those ppl, the horse hunters would walk by. No one saw elk or shot elk as I didn't hear a shot for 10 square miles. This area was flat covered up with elk just before archery, and void right after.
Looking back I would have car camped and simply walked in from random points, avoiding trailheads at all costs.

Agree with what people said about 1st rifle in CO dumping a bunch of snow on us in 12. If you listen to the Elk Talk podcast, Randy and Corey state if you’re going in an unknown area, you’re better off camping near your vehicle and staying mobile.

Back