Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado draw question

Elk247

I will try to explain my question so someone might have an answer. If I put in for a unit that has let's say 40 tags given out and 30 of those tags are given to guys with higher points so there is ten tags left when it gets to my point pool and only 14 people put in with that number of points. Now it comes to my name and I don't draw so the tags go to the next guys with the same amount of points but when it comes down to only 2 tags left and everyone else with the same number of points as me applied in a group of four would they come back to me or drop down to the next guys with one fewer point. Just want to know if there is an advantage to apply individually.

My understanding is that being in a group app gives you this advantage: When the draw gets to the level of the lowest # of points in your group, if anyone from your group gets drawn, all of you get tags, as long as there are enough tags still available for the whole group. The disadvantage is that if anyone from your group gets drawn when there are less than enough tags available, the group does not draw. The only reason you name a group leader is to simplify correspondence w CPW. In theory, a group of 5 should have 5x better odds of drawing than any individual applicant @ the same point level.

If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time today.

Very interesting thread. I'll be following this one. If that's the case we've been messing up not putting in as a group.

From Big Game brochure:

"HOW GROUPS ARE AWARDED LICENSES:
Each hunter’s application must be submitted
separately. Groups are assigned a number. If
that number is selected in the draw, everyone
in the group gets a license. If the group is
selected and there aren’t enough licenses for
everyone, the group will not get licenses. If
the group includes resident and nonresident
applicants and the nonresident cap has been
met, the group will not get licenses."

So my interpretation is that the group gets assigned only one number and if there aren't enough tags available when that number is drawn, nobody gets a tag. My opinion is that it depends on the unit (and the number of tags available) if it is an advantage to apply as a group vs. individual.

In regards to the original question, my understanding is that when a number is drawn, that number gets the tag, you would never get skipped over as it appears you are suggesting. So in this case if the group number (a group of 4 in your example) gets drawn before you with only 2 tags left, they would not get the tags and the next number would be drawn, which could be yours.

From Big Game brochure:

"HOW GROUPS ARE AWARDED LICENSES:
Each hunter’s application must be submitted
separately. Groups are assigned a number. If
that number is selected in the draw, everyone
in the group gets a license. If the group is
selected and there aren’t enough licenses for
everyone, the group will not get licenses. If
the group includes resident and nonresident
applicants and the nonresident cap has been
met, the group will not get licenses."

So my interpretation is that the group gets assigned only one number and if there aren't enough tags available when that number is drawn, nobody gets a tag. My opinion is that it depends on the unit (and the number of tags available) if it is an advantage to apply as a group vs. individual.

In regards to the original question, my understanding is that when a number is drawn, that number gets the tag, you would never get skipped over as it appears you are suggesting. So in this case if the group number (a group of 4 in your example) gets drawn before you with only 2 tags left, they would not get the tags and the next number would be drawn, which could be yours.

That's correct and I figured he knew the group didn't have any better chance that he did of drawing with the same point value in his scenario since they all are assigned the same number.

Thanks for setting me straight. The rule assigning the group one # in the lottery gives every person in the group the same odds as any individual applicant. I stand corrected:hump:

I understand that everyone gets a number even groups but in this case I am talking about units with very limited tags where if my number was already passed by and was not drawn and the group with four in it was the last number that could be drawn in that point class. Would they come back to my number as someone looking for only one tag or go to another number who has one less preference point then me. In order for this to work the computer program would have to know which numbers had groups in them and which ones were individuals.

Elk247 - Without knowing the exact intricacies of the process I can't say for sure, but I don't think you would ever be "passed by" unless all the tags are drawn out. If your number gets drawn, you would get a tag.

Your example would not be possible, if you have the amount of points needed and your number is pulled, you get the tag.

What is a possibility in your scenario... There are 10 tags left and 14 applicants. The first 9 tags go to individual tag applicants leaving 1 tag left to fill the quota. The 10th app pulled from you point pool is a group with 2 guys. They would then get passed over because there are not enough tags left in the quota to give them both tags. So whoever is the 11th app pulled, could be you, would get the last tag.

I understand that everyone gets a number even groups but in this case I am talking about units with very limited tags where if my number was already passed by and was not drawn and the group with four in it was the last number that could be drawn in that point class. Would they come back to my number as someone looking for only one tag or go to another number who has one less preference point then me. In order for this to work the computer program would have to know which numbers had groups in them and which ones were individuals.

They are not going to go a lower point pool than your are to fill that tag! The computer does know how many people there are under that one group number and that's why they wouldn't get tags if there aren't enough to satisfy the entire group. The computer will automatically go to the others in that pool to assign the remaining tag(s).

Topgun- that is what I thought would happen but wasn't sure. So one does have a slight advantage to apply as an individual then when it comes to units with very few tags.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back