Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Camping in August

Ttannahill14

Looking for some info on some camping recommendations. We need to stay along/around the denver/ I-70 route as we're catching a rodeo on the way back to Kansas just north of Hays.

I know there's thousands of acres to camp in, only kicker is my wife says she needs a daily shower. ha. So who's got some recommendations on some sites that are within 10 min drive or have a shower on site.

Also we're not party people at all, I don't know how crazy some camp grounds get. We like hiking, fishing, and eating good camp food.

I've done plenty of camping in Oklahoma and Arkansas, but never ventured for a camping trip out west. Thanks in advance.

Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Super 8, AmericInn, etc, etc. If you do decide to camp in the Mtns, bring some sweatshirts at a minimum for the evenings, gets cold at night

Sounds like you need a private, for-profit campground. There should be plenty. Call first and express your concerns about partiers and noise, size of your site, distance to neighbors, campfires, view, and, most importantly, proximity to public land. Some are surrounded by countless square miles of public land, with water, etc. Also, check their web site and ratings. Don't get hung up on a few bad ratings if the overwhelming majority of ratings are good or better. If the bathrooms are clean then that says a lot. Good luck.

Sounds like you need a private, for-profit campground. There should be plenty. Call first and express your concerns about partiers and noise, size of your site, distance to neighbors, campfires, view, and, most importantly, proximity to public land. Some are surrounded by countless square miles of public land, with water, etc. Also, check their web site and ratings. Don't get hung up on a few bad ratings if the overwhelming majority of ratings are good or better. If the bathrooms are clean then that says a lot. Good luck.

One of these looks like something that would work. Was always curious about the private sites. We don't want a hotel. But she needs a shower. And she also has an irrational fear of black bears. I have work to do on her haha.

I bought a Zodi portable hot water shower that runs off the green propane bottles and put it in a cabana shelter. It works reasonably well. It takes up very little room when it's all packed down and the water pump runs off of a couple of batteries. All you need to do is add water to the supplied tank.

http://zodi.com/

You can get them from any big box sporting goods stores.

Last edited:
One of these looks like something that would work. Was always curious about the private sites. We don't want a hotel. But she needs a shower. And she also has an irrational fear of black bears. I have work to do on her haha.

Once you start looking at a few, Google Earth is a good way to get a feel for how "developed" the area is around the campground and what kind of hiking you can do. Get her a can of Counter Assault. August can be hot so the higher up you are, the cooler it should be.

Would it be possible to camp within a reasonable distance to a I-70 exit with a truck stop. Truck stop showers might run you $15, but they are very clean IME. I'm not a big fan of commercial campgrounds...

I bought a Zodi portable hot water shower that runs off the green propane bottles and put it in a cabana shelter. It works reasonably well. It takes up very little room when it's all packed down and the water pump runs off of a couple of batteries. All you need to do is add water to the supplied tank.

http://zodi.com/

You can get them from any big box sporting goods stores.

I'm trying to get her to let us bring our horse trailer which has a small kitchen but no shower. I could definitely rig something up for her in the back of that thing. She's being resistant. ha.

Hi,
If you want to stay close to Denver, Camp and be close to I-70 I know of Prospect RV Park. I haven't stayed there but lived near there growing up. It meets all your conditions. http://www.prospectrv.com/facilities.html
Also, I'm not affiliated with them. Just offering a suggestion. There is also a KOA Kampground near Strasburg but its not 10 minutes from Denver. There is another KOA near Central City that is nice, good area but again beyond your distance requirement from Denver.
Enjoy your time in Colorado!

Hi,
If you want to stay close to Denver, Camp and be close to I-70 I know of Prospect RV Park. I haven't stayed there but lived near there growing up. It meets all your conditions. http://www.prospectrv.com/facilities.html
Also, I'm not affiliated with them. Just offering a suggestion. There is also a KOA Kampground near Strasburg but its not 10 minutes from Denver. There is another KOA near Central City that is nice, good area but again beyond your distance requirement from Denver.
Enjoy your time in Colorado!

Thanks for your specific recommendations. With so many options its hard to filter through the noise. This will help narrow the search for sure!

Back