Colorado Black Bear Unit 421 and 42

COrookie

Hello all, new here. I am new to big game hunting and couldn't get the elk tags I wanted from the leftover list. Bear hunting was a second option for me, although I am very happy to have the opportunity. I am having a heck of a time finding info for bear hunting in Colorado, even on forums. I will be rifle hunting either unit 421 or 42 the second week of September before the muzzle loading crowd gets in. I am interested in the SWA's south of New Castle and the surrounding BLM land in unit 42. My second location I am interested in is the national forest areas east of Vega State Park. These locations are being selected from my e-scouting.

I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on those two areas. I will most likely spend 2 to 4 scouting days in at least one of those areas if not both this month before the season starts. Also, any tips for hunting bear in general during Colorado rifle bear season? And as always, I love hearing experienced hunters stories so if you have a good bear hunt you wouldn't mind sharing that you think I could pick up some knowledge from, please share.

I have been hunting small game and upland for a few years and am stoked to possibly get into some bear this September, and deer during 2nd rifle (completely different unit and already scouted and have spots for the deer hunt).

The two areas you suggested will have bears. I have also seen them near the Powderhorn Ski Resort. It's crazy, Ive seen more bears than elk in 421/42.

Take an ATV if possible. Last year 421 was packed with OTC archery elk hunters the first couple of weeks of September.

yup I decided one time NOT to buy a bear tag while elk hunting in one of those units. You guessed it a very big blond bear posed for pictures one afternoon in the oak brush.

The one time I hunted 42 for elk, one of the biggest black bears I've seen strolled in less than 200 yards. I was at the CPW office the day before contemplating buying a bear tag and of course, I didn't! I can't speak to the areas you're describing, but I'd concentrate on the oak brush. It's tough to hunt, but they seem to love those areas. Was camping south of Eagle, CO this past weekend and had a small bear walk right up on to us out of the oaks and saw tracks in an area a couple miles away in the same terrain.

I have seen several bears when muzzleloader hunting in 421. We did not hunt the oak brush but stumbled on several bears in the timber. Plan on lots of company. Good luck--R

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back