Colorado archery when to hunt?

Otto14

Wanted to get opinions on when to make the trip. I will be going on my 2nd DIY archery hunt in Colorado this year. Last year we made the trip and hunted right after muzzle loader season. I thought about going when season opens up this year, I guess my question is would you go right when season opens up before the elk start looking for private property or go later when they are bugling a little more. I know weather and about 10 other things are a factor also but just curious when people who have actually kill and elk would rather go. If it help any I will be hunting unit 86 and 47 as a back up plan. I will be hiking in about 4-6 miles into wilderness areas. thanks for any advice.

I like early for bow they are not pressured, may not get alot of calling but you never can tell. Some guys say later then you'll get the rut, but I feel that any amount of pressure on them pushes them deep or onto private. As for your units never been there good luck its always best to get off the beaten path.

The last week without a doubt... unless you have a hotspot and have them patterned. Most public land elk in Co get a lot of pressure... every year. They move to the same areas every year... not all of these areas are on private. That's where I'd hunt... the last week. Ed F

I agree with the last week.Unless you know their pattern ahead of time.Lot easier to get on them when they're talking

Ohh what to do, I really enjoyed going to bed last year hearing elk bugle but didn,t like glassing at them from public land while they roamed on private. I think we got a good area in 86 this year which will be new to me but the guy I'm going with has been there 3 times and seen elk the same place every year. thanks for your opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back