Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Archery Mule Deer

ryan1911

Hello,
Looking for some pointers on high country mule deer in Colorado. Would rather go every year or every other year instead of chasing some glory unit. Have done a few successful public land elk hunts in New Mexico and have the gear just not sure where to start, any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks

Join Toprut or Gohunt and start looking at units West of I-25 (the high country as you specified) and see which ones you can draw with the least amount of points. Any unit in Colorado that has mountains (and also a lot of the plains units) is going to have some nice deer in it so I wouldn't get too caught up in the "where" so much as the "how" and you'll have a good time.

Free, gratis, no charge. Same data Gohunt and Toprut use.

I have go hunt and have been filtering through the units, I do not totally understand how the second choice works, is it leftover tags? or a second draw?

I do not totally understand how the second choice works, is it leftover tags? or a second draw?
If there are 100 tags and only 90 first choice applicants, the remaining 10 tags can be drawn by people who applied for the hunt with their second choice. If there are only 5 second choice applicants, the remaining 5 tags can then be drawn by people who applied for the hunt with their 3rd choice. If there are only 3 people who applied for the hunt third choice, the remaining two tags can be drawn be 4th choice applicants. In the first draw, you get 4 choices. Any tags not drawn in the first draw (where you get 4 choices) can then be drawn in a second draw where you have to reapply. Any tags not drawn in the second draw become leftovers and available for purchase by anyone sometime in early August. Residency restrictions apply to the first choice in the first draw. Hope this helps.

If there are 100 tags and only 90 first choice applicants, the remaining 10 tags can be drawn by people who applied for the hunt with their second choice. If there are only 5 second choice applicants, the remaining 5 tags can then be drawn by people who applied for the hunt with their 3rd choice. If there are only 3 people who applied for the hunt third choice, the remaining two tags can be drawn be 4th choice applicants. In the first draw, you get 4 choices. Any tags not drawn in the first draw (where you get 4 choices) can then be drawn in a second draw where you have to reapply. Any tags not drawn in the second draw become leftovers and available for purchase by anyone sometime in early August. Residency restrictions apply to the first choice in the first draw. Hope this helps.
I see, from the leftover tag report looks like most units are filled with the first choice, except for unit 25 in flat tops.

Ryan, are you hunting archery, muzzle, rifle? There is a specific kind of mulie buck hunt in CO, in only a few units above timberline, rifle, mid Sept. That is known as "high country season." I can't tell if that is what you are after, or if you just want to hunt in the mountains of CO rather than the plains.

Ryan, are you hunting archery, muzzle, rifle? There is a specific kind of mulie buck hunt in CO, in only a few units above timberline, rifle, mid Sept. That is known as "high country season." I can't tell if that is what you are after, or if you just want to hunt in the mountains of CO rather than the plains.
Wanting to do mostly Archery to learn the area and draw more often

thanks

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back