Colorado 76 Early Rifle 2022

Durango Mike

Spent the last 2 days cruising CO 76 scouting with my young friend in his Polaris Razor that is one way to get a good feel of terrain and where we might stage our horses if we decide to use them. We found several moose so I know where I will ever go if I draw a tag, some very "moosy" spots. Glassed one nice elk bull in a saddle that might be hunt-able. We have been thinking that early rifle will have bulls moving away from the areas that are more archery friendly and still might be at the tail end of the rut to help locate them. I can report there has been quite a bit of rain so everything very green and ample water everywhere in spite of SW drought conditions. If the monsoon continues the elk will have plenty of feed in the deep bowls well away from the numerous ATV roads that are laced throughout the GMU. We stayed right on the Rio Grande and the river was up almost 1 foot overnight, started raining even harder when we left yesterday. Big area with lots of rugged terrain, we are planning on a few more scouting trips in August and will keep adding any insights for folks with earlier/later tags. Since this is a 20 point tag I was curious if anyone had an idea where the number of tags for early rifle issued can be found? Given the season is wedged between archery and first rifle probably will see some folks scouting and a few pulling out of archery camps.

I am just curious, how did this hunt come about? Is this just a hunt you have dreamed about for 20 years? Or have you just hunted OTC for many years and had points accumulated you needed to use? I am mid 30's and the draw / leftover / reissue landscape has changed so much that I would like to hear the story on how you decided to pull the trigger on early rifle 76.

I have collected points for 20 years partially the result of hunting NM,UT,AZ when I drew tags (over 20 years drew 7 non-res tags). I mainly hunted archery OTC in Colorado, and getting B tags for cows on my ranch in Durango. When we had a serious herd in the valley and dealing with lots of fence/hay field destruction they would issue extra tags to compensate ranchers so for a few years we would shoot 3-5 cows giving the meat to the woman's shelter (did I use the correct pronoun?). My wife has a rule that any head that gets mounted has to be bigger than something I have mounted (led me to pass on several 300ish bulls looking for big Hank); and there is a 368 7X7 NM archery bull on the wall. The small bulls/mule deer are mostly euro mounts in the tack room hanging tack. The other reason is that I am 75 and figured my replaced knee and hip needed a serious stress test!

I have collected points for 20 years partially the result of hunting NM,UT,AZ when I drew tags (over 20 years drew 7 non-res tags). I mainly hunted archery OTC in Colorado, and getting B tags for cows on my ranch in Durango. When we had a serious herd in the valley and dealing with lots of fence/hay field destruction they would issue extra tags to compensate ranchers so for a few years we would shoot 3-5 cows giving the meat to the woman's shelter (did I use the correct pronoun?). My wife has a rule that any head that gets mounted has to be bigger than something I have mounted (led me to pass on several 300ish bulls looking for big Hank); and there is a 368 7X7 NM archery bull on the wall. The small bulls/mule deer are mostly euro mounts in the tack room hanging tack. The other reason is that I am 75 and figured my replaced knee and hip needed a serious stress test!
Hope you get a nice one.

That makes perfect sense! Best of luck to you. Hope the unit lives up to expectations.

Enjoy the hunt, its a neat unit and you got the best tag. Lots of alpine elk.

Good luck on your hunt. Looks like a nice New Zealand stag in your profile pic.
It is, the Kiwi's thought I was daft to insist on bow hunting after we found him and missed several easy rifle opportunities, with all the junk hanging on him he is a pretty cool euro mount.

Good story D. Mike!! Im am just over the mountain in South Fork. My wife has 14 pts for deer. Still wondering what unit fora nice ave. buck!!

Unit 76 is one of the most rugged and remote places in the country and it's is a tough hunt for sure I lived in and hunted it several times before I moved to MT killed my last CO bull there in 2018 to date he's still and will probably always be my best bull

Guys I’m thinking of applying for this unit this year. 2023. Archery. If you have any info it would be great. I should have enough points to draw, 9 if point creep doesn’t get me 😔 anyhow let me know if your willing to share. Thanks guys….

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back