PEAX Equipment

Colorado 76 archery

Commutair

Drew this tag, trying to find as much info as possible. If anyone is willing to help thank you!

Backcountry Hunter and angler lifetime member, RMEF raffle ticket mailer extrodinare

Too many suggestions to know where to start. One suggestion would be to drive to the end of Maggie Gulch (4x4 road) via unit 75. Then hike up and over into Pole Creek to camp & hunt in unit 76. Super fun big country.

I lived there for 35 years and guided elk hunters in there for 15 years. All total I've drawn 2 archery and 2 rifle tags. I've since retired from guiding and moved to MT my last tag was in 2018 killed a 360 bull. It's a huge wild unit very little private and the entire thing holds elk. During archery any drainage can be good and if your willing to get a few miles from the roads (which isn't hard in that country it's rugged as hell) you'll have the hunt of a lifetime. The fire up there in 2011 I believe was big and burned a huge chunk of the southwest part of the unit. It's pretty grown up with brush and young Aspen an the elk do love it. Don't get fooled into thinking there's 350" bulls in abundance honestly there just aren't that many but there's lots of 280-320" 6x6 mature bulls and they bugle a lot. Do your e-scouting and pick a few good looking spots and then get boots on the ground.

Thanks guys. I have secured llamas, going the first week, and more if need be. gonna pack as deep as I can. Lueko Tape the feet and have at it. cannot wait.

I lived there for 35 years and guided elk hunters in there for 15 years. All total I've drawn 2 archery and 2 rifle tags. I've since retired from guiding and moved to MT my last tag was in 2018 killed a 360 bull. It's a huge wild unit very little private and the entire thing holds elk. During archery any drainage can be good and if your willing to get a few miles from the roads (which isn't hard in that country it's rugged as hell) you'll have the hunt of a lifetime. The fire up there in 2011 I believe was big and burned a huge chunk of the southwest part of the unit. It's pretty grown up with brush and young Aspen an the elk do love it. Don't get fooled into thinking there's 350" bulls in abundance honestly there just aren't that many but there's lots of 280-320" 6x6 mature bulls and they bugle a lot. Do your e-scouting and pick a few good looking spots and then get boots on the ground.
Spot on based on what I saw in 3 archery elk hunts 2017, 2018 and 2021. First two were last minute reissue tags so no scouting possible, just pack and go and still had great hunts with limited prep and time to hunt. Third time using points was a summer of prep and scouting and a ton of fun over 20+ days of hunting.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have secured llamas, going the first week, and more if need be. gonna pack as deep as I can. Lueko Tape the feet and have at it. cannot wait.
llamas are the ticket in 76 IMO. We rented them for the entire month.

IMG_2290.jpegIMG_2211.jpegIMG_2292.jpegIMG_2298.jpegIMG_2166.jpegIMG_2365.jpegIMG_2149.jpeg

Attachments

• P1011180.jpeg
    9.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
My dad had an early rifle tag a few years back. Didn't spend a lot of time in the unit as he harvested the first day but shoot me a PM for some intel we gained.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back