Colorado 61 - Early Rifle - 20 Year Draw

AceJiggy19

Drew the 61 Early Rifle bull tag this year in Colorado - I know some say it isn't what it used to be, but I knew when I first stepped foot in 61 about a decade ago, that I eventually wanted my long awaited bull tag to come out of 61. I fell in love with the unit, the amount of elk we were seeing, etc. I've been back several times since for bear hunts, or to help a buddy muzzle hunt his bull, etc., but it's finally my turn.

Just covering all my bases by reaching out here. It's a big unit, and we've only ever really messed around on the middle-to-southern end of it. Are we in the right area for the big boys? Are there areas I'm missing? Let me know what you know, it took me 20 years to draw this tag! Appreciate it in advance. I've got a couple weekend trips planned for September, so plan on checking anything and everything people tell me. I've waited this long, why not put in the work! Thanks!

EDIT - How do I still have the "New Member" tag?! WTF haha

Hell yeah. Congrats man. That tag is a ton of fun. You can't go wrong anywhere really. Hunt downhill from divide road. Be prepared to pack uphill. It's that easy, but not really....lol.

Surprising number of lions in that unit. My buddy had one come out of a small crevice in the rocks and take a swipe at him. He said he almost shit his pants. Lmao. Good luck.

Hell yeah. Congrats man. That tag is a ton of fun. You can't go wrong anywhere really. Hunt downhill from divide road. Be prepared to pack uphill. It's that easy, but not really....lol.

Surprising number of lions in that unit. My buddy had one come out of a small crevice in the rocks and take a swipe at him. He said he almost shit his pants. Lmao. Good luck.
Damn about the cats, really!! I'd always heard there were tons of bears, but every year I hunted bears in there, I'd see tons of sign and never any bears. It was always after a good winter/spring, and the warden says the bears had so much food, that they weren't moving (when you'd normally see them, and stalk them) - they'd sit in the same berry patch for weeks at a time. Never saw any lion sign, though. Interesting.

I haven't been out to 61 in about 4 years, so interested to see how it's changed since the fire. I am used to hunting off the Divide Road on the south end of the unit (south of Columbine Pass), or south of Columbine Pass on the Delta/Nucla road, but I've recently been getting a lot of tips to hunt farther northwest of here. Think I'm going to check out some spots in September when I'm there for a weekend or two. I'll keep my eye out for lions.

Congrats! I have a rifle bear tag for there and will be in and out of 61 all month. Feel free to pm me! I spend a lot of time in the unit as I live local.

The part of 61 that you'll find "the big boys" is anywhere in 61. Not trying to be a smartass but it's the truth. I'm convinced that you could find a truly big bull just about anywhere in the unit. I've spent lots of time in 61, and the biggest bull I've seen (probably 400) was in the area that you just described that you've hunted. Good luck!

I’m curious as well how the hunt went. I just got back into hunting last year, and moved just south of Montrose 2-1/2 years ago. Going out to. Ranching For Wildlife hunt up near Craig, CO around Christmas.

Drew the 61 Early Rifle bull tag this year in Colorado - I know some say it isn't what it used to be, but I knew when I first stepped foot in 61 about a decade ago, that I eventually wanted my long awaited bull tag to come out of 61. I fell in love with the unit, the amount of elk we were seeing, etc. I've been back several times since for bear hunts, or to help a buddy muzzle hunt his bull, etc., but it's finally my turn.

Just covering all my bases by reaching out here. It's a big unit, and we've only ever really messed around on the middle-to-southern end of it. Are we in the right area for the big boys? Are there areas I'm missing? Let me know what you know, it took me 20 years to draw this tag! Appreciate it in advance. I've got a couple weekend trips planned for September, so plan on checking anything and everything people tell me. I've waited this long, why not put in the work! Thanks!

EDIT - How do I still have the "New Member" tag?! WTF haha
So how did the hunt go?

Back