Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

College May Buff Up Aging Brains

ELKCHSR

One thing they forgot to mention besides bolstering ones brain cells, with some people it has bolstered their ego also, this has made those individuals heads tilt to the side when they do their every day activities. :D :p :p :p

College May Buff Up Aging Brains

By Robert Lee Hotz Times Staff Writer

Schoolwork may strengthen the brain against some ill effects of aging, a new study on education and memory loss suggests.

In research made public Sunday, a team at the University of Toronto's Rotman Research Institute used brain imaging to show that higher education may protect older people from faltering mental powers by building up alternate neural networks absent in less-educated people.

Elderly volunteers who had a higher education not only performed better on a series of memory tests than their less-educated peers but also used different parts of their brains, the study showed.

More years of education were associated with more active frontal lobes, areas known to be involved in problem-solving, memory and judgment, the scientists reported.

Those who treat memory loss and other maladies of the elderly have long been intrigued by evidence that an active mind might "vaccinate" the brain against Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites) and other chronic neural disorders that may appear over time.

Learning, they suspected, might be an effective preventive medicine.

Researchers know that animal brains readily respond to stimulating, enriched surroundings by developing more intricate connections between brain cells. Until now, however, no one knew what brain mechanisms might be involved in the aging human brain.

"The frontal lobes seem to be playing an important role in this protective effect that education seems to have," said Cheryl L. Grady, the senior scientist involved in the research project.

"It may be the more education you have, the more practice you have had using different brain strategies," she said. "Education builds up intellectual capacity and that may come into play."

She cautioned that other factors such as health, exercise and diet could also be responsible for the difference in mental ability.

A full report of the research appeared in the current issue of Neuropsychology, a bimonthly journal published by the American Psychological Assn.

To investigate the relationship between education and brain activity among the elderly, the researchers conducted memory tests using a functional magnetic resonance imaging scanner, which records the changes in blood flow associated with mental activity.

They tested 14 people between 18 and 30 years old who had between 11 and 20 years of formal schooling and 19 people over 65 who had between eight and 21 years of education. The scientists correlated brain activity to each volunteer's age and education level.

The better-schooled volunteers were able to work around the memory problems common among the aged by drawing on mental reserves.

"We found that the older adults who were more educated tend to recruit these frontal areas of the brain," said lead researcher Mellanie Springer at the Rotman Institute.

The elderly who had been less educated did not have such extra neural capability, nor did the younger educated volunteers, Springer said. These young brains had not yet developed the need to draw on such neural reserves.

So that's why I'm back in college. Goodness knows I need all the help I can get. :D

How is it going, I know you posted some thing a while back that was stating you were hitting the 100% margin, you still there?

Math this time around. That's my killer. I only got 85% on the first exam. The class average was 66% on that one though, so still not doing half bad. Lordy I'm a nerd. :D

HAHAHA!!! I am almost finished with Decision making, Heuristics, and Biases. Last week to go...
Then it is on to Economics Principles and Tools...
WOOOPEEEE!!!!! ;)

Gag! What major is that? Doesn't sound like it would be up my alley.

I need to take another class where I can get my hands dirty some more. All of these cold hard numbers make my teeth ache.

Wow that is interesting. I was in school once. I went to elementry, Jr. high, and even high school, I took a year off to go hunting and just chillax. Then went to not one but 2 different colleges, didn't do too well there though. So I took a break from school, adn now I'm working to get back in so I can get some kind of degree, and make my momma proud. :D :D
Quick Draw

Well good read elkschr , umm well i didnt finish high school why i may have half brain cell :eek: but i need go back maybe make sure my brain iant aging i big kid at heart huh that why i feel so young :D i am 23 i be anyway well if u wanna know what most collge is right now watch girls gone wild hate send my kid there if i had one and for my sisters i have warn em :)

I don't know about higher education buffing the aging brain but I can say for sure that the cost of matriculating my daughter's freshman year at college is numbing mine.

I am betting you are right No.... :D
I am getting a Bacholor in Operations Management online.
This is some thing that really takes a bite out of your day. Not only don't I get to really go any where, I have to show enough motivation to sit and read very dry material and get enough out of it to keep an above 90% average.... :)

WOW, ELKCHSR thats awesoem that you are going back to school. Do you think you are gonna be done by fire season?
Quick Draw

No..
It will be completed about this time next year, unless fire season is a long one, then it will extend it out a bit longer, thanks... :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back