College Football 🏈 Season is Here !!

Guess we'll need a new thread title...or start talking about different teams (FCS, Liberty, etc)

I have no opinion about how the bureaucrats at NCAA fix their mess, but I do believe in free markets, free exchange of labor, and that college presidents and football coaches are ripping off kids for their own profit. You want the kid to play at the U, pay the kid at the U. If tuition is enough to ink the deal then great - if tuition is insufficient then let the market set the price. I am endlessly amazed at how adult fans, alumni and college administrators expect (often poor) kids to subsidize the amusement, entertainment and coffers of the adults. They have been running an illegal monopoly by any rational definition and it was about time a court had the guts to call it as it is.

Ya, and I get it $100,000 for full ride is a lot - you are right it is, but not if market says it should be $300,000. I mean $125,000 for a new Porsche is a lot but does that mean a U booster should be able to strong arm the dealership into giving it to him for $20,000 just because? Shouldn’t U alum have to pay market for things they enjoy? It has been a scam a rip off for years, and I am happy to see it burn.

I have no opinion about how the bureaucrats at NCAA fix their mess, but I do believe in free markets, free exchange of labor, and that college presidents and football coaches are ripping off kids for their own profit. You want the kid to play at the U, pay the kid at the U. If tuition is enough to ink the deal then great - if tuition is insufficient then let the market set the price. I am endlessly amazed at how adult fans, alumni and college administrators expect (often poor) kids to subsidize the amusement, entertainment and coffers of the adults. They have been running an illegal monopoly by any rational definition and it was about time a court had the guts to call it as it is.

Ya, and I get it $100,000 for full ride is a lot - you are right it is, but not if market says it should be $300,000. I mean $125,000 for a new Porsche is a lot but does that mean a U booster should be able to strong arm the dealership into giving it to him for $20,000 just because? Shouldn’t U alum have to pay market for things they enjoy? It has been a scam a rip off for years, and I am happy to see it burn.

I understand the philosophies of free markets and all that, and I'm fine with it for business models and systems of government, but that ignores the intangible elements that drive sports culture. I'm not a Beavers fan because I make more money or see increased economic freedom and prosperity. I'm a Beavers fan because I like the Beavers and "intensely dislike" the Ducks. :cool: In my estimation college sports (between NIL and the transfer portal) is headed to a place where they have fine-tuned legal and business model but fewer and fewer fans because people just don't feel attached anymore.

I would liken it to my feelings about the NBA. I was an avid Blazers fan as a kid. I taught myself to read so I could read the sports page at the breakfast table. I was a little too young for the Bill Walton days, but I was all over Dr. Jack and Clyde the Glide. Believe me, the Lakers were the evil empire. As I got older, I found out that the NBA was built around making me a fan of *gag* Magic Johnson and *ick* Michael Jordan. The NBA is a fantastic marketing machine, but I don't really miss it much. If I could go back to liking the Blazers and "intensely disliking" the Lakers (still not hard to do) while listening to the late Bill Schonely on the radio, I'd probably be a fan today.

QQ

I understand the philosophies of free markets and all that, and I'm fine with it for business models and systems of government, but that ignores the intangible elements that drive sports culture. I'm not a Beavers fan because I make more money or see increased economic freedom and prosperity. I'm a Beavers fan because I like the Beavers and "intensely dislike" the Ducks. :cool: In my estimation college sports (between NIL and the transfer portal) is headed to a place where they have fine-tuned legal and business model but fewer and fewer fans because people just don't feel attached anymore.

I would liken it to my feelings about the NBA. I was an avid Blazers fan as a kid. I taught myself to read so I could read the sports page at the breakfast table. I was a little too young for the Bill Walton days, but I was all over Dr. Jack and Clyde the Glide. Believe me, the Lakers were the evil empire. As I got older, I found out that the NBA was built around making me a fan of *gag* Magic Johnson and *ick* Michael Jordan. The NBA is a fantastic marketing machine, but I don't really miss it much. If I could go back to liking the Blazers and "intensely disliking" the Lakers (still not hard to do) while listening to the late Bill Schonely on the radio, I'd probably be a fan today.

QQ
I agree with the subtle essence of sport fanhood - but it does not seem right to ask a poor man to do without so I may self define what product is worthy of my fanhood. Personally, I hate baseball and would turn every BB stadium in the country into parking lots, but I do not get to decide that - I just get to decide not to pay attention or support, knowing millions will do the opposite. That will be your choice about whatever the future of college FB looks like. On the flip side, the Beavers are unlikely to be part of the big boys anyway, so their new existence may delight some of the old school preferences, as they will essentially be a DII team.

but fewer and fewer fans because people just don't feel attached anymore.
We often confuse our own preferences with those of others. More folks than ever watch college football. And to my dismay baseball and basketball have never had more $$. I know my grandfather never got over pro-football overtaking MLB or college football in popularity - he passed certain the rest of us were idiots for watching grown men play football for money on the Lord’s day.

I think we agree on most of this. My question I want to ask your opinion:

should nil money take their amateur status away?

They’re now being paid. I mean the wazzu qb transfer that was at Incarnate Word in 2022 already eight $1million nil offers.

We often confuse our own preferences with those of others. More folks than ever watch college football. And to my dismay baseball and basketball have never had more $$. I know my grandfather never got over pro-football overtaking MLB or college football in popularity - he passed certain the rest of us were idiots for watching grown men play football for money on the Lord’s day.
It's a game. Chill. mtmuley

I think we agree on most of this. My question I want to ask your opinion:

should nil money take their amateur status away?

They’re now being paid. I mean the wazzu qb transfer that was at Incarnate Word in 2022 already eight $1million nil offers.
Amateur status isnt really a thing these days. And even if it was, anti-trust law prevents colleges from trying to enforce it as a group (i.e., the ncaa). It’s like trying to prevent a non-virgin from wearing white to her wedding ;)

You seem pretty worked up about it. Yeah. It is a business. Just watch the FCS games that are coming. Less of a business. mtmuley
Ya, I got one more week of FCS I suppose then back “we’ll get em next year”. (But we won’t until we find a coach and a qb)

I agree with VG in large part. What I don't agree with is guys staying around forever and occupying space that high school kids need to begin their careers.

So, Bo Nix to Oregon, nice kid, and now Dillon Gabriel? At some point, it seems, we have to say no, College is not the NFL. You get 4 years, no redshirting.

Heck, Alan Bowman at Oklahoma State has a graduate degree in Supply Chain Management from the Ross School of Business at Michigan. He'll never be NFL, likely, but that's a half to million dollar degree.

And that's a QB job that could have gone to someone who wasn't around forever.

I agree with VG in large part. What I don't agree with is guys staying around forever and occupying space that high school kids need to begin their careers.

So, Bo Nix to Oregon, nice kid, and now Dillon Gabriel? At some point, it seems, we have to say no, College is not the NFL. You get 4 years, no redshirting.

Heck, Alan Bowman at Oklahoma State has a graduate degree in Supply Chain Management from the Ross School of Business at Michigan. He'll never be NFL, likely, but that's a half to million dollar degree.

And that's a QB job that could have gone to someone who wasn't around forever.
A sea of Gen Xers in corporate America feel the same about the Boomers who just won't leave ;)

You seem pretty worked up about it. Yeah. It is a business. Just watch the FCS games that are coming. Less of a business. mtmuley
One would think but I have a buddy whose kid plays O line for an FCS school. Half of his line mates just entered the portal. I asked my buddy why and he said they have been offered between $100,000 and $250,000 by FBS programs. Its a fact of college football now a days even at the FCS level.

@Little Big Man MT Chris it may not be college football but your Ducks are getting destroyed by those angry Badgers in Vball in the regionals!

Who cares 😅 it ain’t football 🏈 last time I checked, Oregon has back 2 back Rose 🌹 Bowl wins over Wisconsin. 2012 & 2020 …. Ha ha

See you in the BIG10 next season , for the record I’m on my 2nd whiskey 🥃 enjoying the NFR Finals image.jpg

Who cares 😅 it ain’t football 🏈 last time I checked, Oregon has back 2 back Rose 🌹 Bowl wins over Wisconsin. 2012 & 2020 …. Ha ha

See you in the BIG10 next season , for the record I’m on my 2nd whiskey 🥃 enjoying the NFR Finals View attachment 305443
o yeah, we can't beat the ducks in football. 2nd whiskey? I've had like 20 beers...I think

Back