MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Collared cow, NV

p_ham

The week started off pretty slow, we saw quite a few bulls, deer, not much for cows. Go figure huh?

We Talked to a guy on the 2nd morning who shot a bull down in a hell hole. He couldn't get a hold of the packers, and if he did it would most likely be a next day retrieval. Not good in 80+ degree heat. We offered to help him pack and he graciously accepted. We spent the entire day packing meat but we were able to save all of it. Everybody exchanged information and a few beers. I'm glad we were able to help. He seemed like a good man and he was very passionate about the outdoors.MVIMG952019090495104006.jpg

A storm came through day 4 and it must have gotten the animals moving. We spotted a herd and I decided I would move in on them. IMG_20190906_172450.jpg
On the way down I heard an agressive bugle from a group of trees at the top of the draw. The herd bull responded which really fired up instigator bull. He came crashing down through the trees screaming and chuckling. He and the herd bull took turns chuckling and thrashing trees. I watched instigator bull work his way to a small saddle on a finger ridge where he stayed and bugled from for the remainder of the evening. He was a big bull and I wondered why he stopped short. I worked my way around the canyon toward the herd. I cow called and popped branches as I worked my way through deadfall. Almost every time I made a sound both bulls cracked off. Soon I heard more bugles from the bottom of the draw. I worked my way closer and closer using the herd bull as a homing beacon. As I broke through the second group of trees I heard a warning bark above me. I froze and softly cow called. I waited a while before proceeding. I worked my way toward the last group of trees between me and the herd. I could see cows and antler tines moving around. I positioned myself where I had a small opening to shoot through. I ranged a cow and waited for a shot. I lined up on one through the opening. A ball of smoke and flame shot from my muzzleloader. I didnt hear an impact but the shot felt good. I reloaded as I cow called. I worked my way below the trees, and crept forward calling softly. As I cleared the trees I looked uphill where the herd bull was standing staring at me. He was 40-50yds, I didnt range him. He was a giant 6x6, if he wasn't 400 inches he was damn close, easily #1 or #2 biggest bulls I've ever seen. I checked all the cows in the herd and found none injured. I slowly started uphill and the big bull took his herd over the ridge. I found the cow laying close to where the bull stood. After some sign language to trent up on the ridge I let out a bugle and the whole canyon lit up with bulls. We processed the cow and hung half the meat with bulls bugling in the background all night. We packed out half the meat that night and returned the next morning for the rest. One of the coolest experiences I've had to date.
image000000.jpgThe big herd bull from across the canyon.
00100lPORTRAIT950010095BURST2019090308273150195COVER.jpgIMG952019090695195209.jpgIMG952019090795114614.jpg0907191046.jpgIMG_20190903_182016.jpg

Attachments

• image000000_2.jpg
    image000000_2.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 0907190934.jpg
    0907190934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 0907190946.jpg
    0907190946.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 24
Thanks for the story and congratulations!

Very cool! Great recon/experience for when you pull a bull tag in that area.

Thanks for sharing. Very nice of you to help out that other hunter !! Quite refreshing to hear of hunters helping hunters , when so often, we hear of hunter - hunter conflicts ...

Congrats! That is some beautiful country you got to hunt. Kudos for volunteering to help pack out meat with a stranger.

Great write up, great pictures, great hunt. Very cool of you to help that other hunter get his bull out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back