Cold weather boots

ARO

I am looking to buy a pair of cold weather boots, say 0 - 32 degree range. Something that would be good to wear for tree stand hunting. I have a pair of 1000 gram insulated lacrosse, but once it gets below say 32, the toes start to get a little chilly...

Anybody got any recommendations?

1000 grams should get you buy at 0. Do you wear wool socks? I had the same problem, but wool socks fixed it.

I wear the bass pro lifetime socks, I think there wool. After about 2 hours of sitting in the stand though, my toes start to feel like there freezing. If I'm walking around everything is fine, its just when i sit still for extended periods of time.

Think I got poor blood circulation...lol

I've seen some things that slip over your boots that would propably work for you. Kinda like oversized camo slippers. It is called hotmocs, they use the handwarmer packets.

Those Lifetime socks at Bass Pro I believe are Merino Wool which is exactly what you need. You may try some liner socks as well to get that sweat away from your feet even more. If that and 1000 grams of thinsulate won't help your next step is Pac Boots but those stink if you do any hiking.

For really long sits in the really cold try some of those insulated foot booties...some have places to put the chemical foot warmers in. Can get them for your gloves as well. Bitter cold deer sits mean insulation of hands, feet and head. Otherwise you won't sit very long.

I guess I would reccomend Muck boots. I have had good luck with them up in MT, during the cold winters and with regular socks my feet have never gotten cold.

Have you tried to put 1 or 2 of those hot packs in the toes of your current boots? If not, might be worth a try instead of having to buy new boots.

A good pack boot is the only thing I have found that works for me while sitting in a treestand when it drops to 30 degrees or less.My muck artics are good to about 35 degrees til my feet get cold while sitting hours on stand.Pack boots suck to walk to your stand in if you have any hills to go up but they keep your feet pretty comfortable even more so in the liners have a spot to shove a foot warmer in.

http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-3428-6K
Kenetrek Northern

I use these for calling coyotes in below 0 to 40 degree weather all winter. Love the k talon sole, pretty beefy for a pac. I am not a boot expert, but I think that sometimes the insulation in boots can get packed down and lose it's effectiveness. I had a pair of Danner elk hunters forever, which are 800 gram. Anyways, in late October my feet were getting cold, and it was probably 45 degrees out. The next year I purchased a pair of Kenetrek mountain extreme 400 gram(400 gram less) and my feet have never been cold, under the same conditions. Not sure if insulation will get packed down and lose effectiveness but it's worth checking out.

Core Baby!!!
Carry another layer or two(jacket/coat/shirts) and put them on when you get to your stand and the sweat begins to dissipate. Your feet get cold cuz your body shuts down blood flow to keep the core heated. Of course your core feels good, it's how we're wired. It works.

Kenetrek Northern

Very warm and still offer about the best support for walking that you'll find in a pack boot. Far superior to a Muck boot.

I use Lacrosse alpha burlys 1200 grams (there rubber neoprene hybrid boots, regular rubber soles with aggressive tread, neoprene body covered in rubber), it dont matter the length of the walk my feet get sweated up, I change my socks at the stand dry feet are key. Use a good high quality sock, I dont even use socks as heavy as I used to with my pack boots and my feet stay warmer, I use a merino/synthetic blend medium weight. A boot that is a size or even two bigger than what you normally wear is a good idea to, After freezing my feet for years in pack boots this is what works for me. I still bring my toe warmers with, but I never needed them last year, on an all day sit I might but its nice to have them just incase.

I agree with keeping the core warm to, it'll go along way towards keeping the best of you warmer, I took care of that this past year to, I'm sure it payed off in keeping my feet warmer with the new boots too.

for late season stand hunting withe bunny boots with the valve. I never even where wool socks, just tube socks and I have yet to lace them up. Havent got cold feet in them yet. I also make sure my body core is warm. I like looser fitting clothes in cold weather to promote good circulation. It always seemed the more layers of socks/clothes the less circulation and the colder I got.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back