Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cold weather bib opinions for treestand hunting

nhwaterfowler

Greetings,

I need to purchase a set of cold weather bibs for late season treestand archery hunting here in New Hampshire. I need something that doesn't weight a ton, has to be quiet and a pair I can carrying in my pack and put on while either on the ground or in the stand; they need at least zip up legs to put over boots. They should be windproof and have at least a DWR coating, preferably waterproof but at least semi water resistant. I looked at the Sitka but its way too expensive and they are heavy, so thats out. Others I am looking at are the First Light Sanctuary bibs (also spendy) and some of Cabelas brands. I did like the nat gear but the bib did not have a two way zipper to answer natures call and that is a key element. Just wondering what people out in the forum have used and have been pleased with. Having used bibs for waterfowl hunting for many years and finding that they keep me super warm and I don't need to wear as many layers I like the utility and even for early november bowhunting for deer I can carry a pair of bibs and reduce the other layers I may need. Thanks

Tom

I just got off the phone the other day (Friday) with First Lite asking this exact question. In a nutshell, the customer service guy told me the Sanctuary bibs will be a little warmer and quieter. The North Branch bib will still be warm, but not as warm, as the Sanctuary. But the NB will also be a little more durable and a touch louder (but not loud).

I'm looking for super warm late-season bibs that'll hold up to walking around in brush, not get soaking wet from snow (like my fleece ones do now), not get torn by thorns and not pick up pounds of sticker burrs. The North Branch bibs might fit the bill for me.

Emrah

I have the Sanctuary jacket for late season stand hunting here in Ohio. It is unbelievably warm, and isn't nearly as heavy as some other cold weather clothing I have had. It isn't really made for a lot of walking around, but it breathes far better than other bibs/parkas I have had. It is pricey, but well worth the money IMO.

There's one on sale on the FL site and it made it's way into my shopping cart but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I love my Uncompahgre and will probably get it (Sanctuary jacket) and the North Branch bibs before late season gets here.

Emrah

Bringing up this old thread as I am in the market for some new cold weather bibs. I am between the first lite sanctuary and the Sitka fanatic. I need to have:
1.warmth- I hunt late muzzleloader from mid- December to January 10 and then I would like to use them for ice fishing as well. Temps range from 30 to -15. The colder the better as it brings the big boys out!
2. Lightweight- I have very warm clothing that I wear now but it’s so heavy. I’d like to get away from that.
3. Weather/wind proof- I often don’t use a stand or blind and will just sit on the ground to be in the best position I think to harvest an animal, likewise ice fishing I like to kneel next to the hole if I am hole hopping.
4. Packable- it’s possible I may walk up to a mile to my stand, possibly more during ice fishing and I would like to carry the bibs in my pack.

I was thinking about this as well and also thought that maybe a 850 fill jacket and pants would be as good and easier to pack to the stand. Anyone have any insight which is better?

I was thinking about this as well and also thought that maybe a 850 fill jacket and pants would be as good and easier to pack to the stand. Anyone have any insight which is better?
I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. I was very close to getting the FL sanctuary bibs. The only thing holding back was some of the reviews about windproof and water resistance. I like my other first lite gear so I have no reason to doubt these wouldn’t be great as well, but the few reviews that said those comments make me hesitate. My current cold weather stand setup is Arctic carhart bibs with puffy pants under them. A fl uncomphagre jacket with a cabelas fleece wind shear over that. It is very warm, but the cabelas coat and carharts are very heavy.

yeah same here. I have the Midway bibs but there are very heavy and bulky to carry to the stand. I wish I could take a look at the FL bibs before I bought them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back