Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Coffee at home

cwitherow

I have recently gotten into brewing my own coffee. I started experimenting with a french press, but have lately been using an aeropress. I currently still use store bought, and am trying different things to see what flavors and roasts I like. Anyone else gone down this rabbit hole before?

I have recently gotten into brewing my own coffee. I started experimenting with a french press, but have lately been using an aeropress. I currently still use store bought, and am trying different things to see what flavors and roasts I like. Anyone else gone down this rabbit hole before?
are you looking to start roasting your own coffee then? I'm not a coffee aficionado but the wife is and I've been joking she should start roasting for herself, then when she gets something she really likes we can up production and she can sell to the local market.

I've gone so far down that rabbit hole. Fun journey. I'd like to start roasting my own but seeing as there are so many great local roasters in my area the variety is pretty good. I can only drink decaf anymore but there's still lots to explore. I've gone the route of french press (Frieling), pour over (Hario), moka pot (Bialetti), and a semi-commercial espresso machine (Expobar) with a commercial burr grinder (Mazzer). I've pieced it all together over the years. The espresso machine I found "broken" on Craig's List for a good price and was able to determine that it was just a burst capillary tube to the pressure gauge. Pretty cheap fix and we've been using it daily for a good 10 years or more. The grinder I bought off a guy who owned a cafe that was going out of business. A few hours cleaning the thing up and then I replaced the burrs and it will probably last me until I die. It's a bit scabby but it grinds nicely. We keep it kind of tucked into a corner so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Check out www.home-barista.com if you need help going further down the hole!

are you looking to start roasting your own coffee then? I'm not a coffee aficionado but the wife is and I've been joking she should start roasting for herself, then when she gets something she really likes we can up production and she can sell to the local market.
I don't even have a grinder, so roasting myself is way down the hole from where I am. It feels a bit like anything new, drinking from a firehose. I enjoy the experience of it all, much more so than popping in a k-cup.

That's all I drink...French press or Aeropress with fresh roasted coffee ground via burr grinder. It's on of my many expensive vices. Craft Coffee Club has some good coffee as a subscription and the price isn't too bad.

Do yourself a favor and get a burr grinder. Since you're doing aeropress, a simple hand grinder works just fine.

Let's just say only a few years ago I was experimenting with the Aeropress (especially for backpacking), and now today I am roasting my own beans at home. I like doing things myself, but mostly I hated giving my money to coffee shops that share a completely differently value system than me.
I have become a bit of a coffee snob, and it's developed into a little hobby (as if I don't have enough). My main hunting partner lives half way across the country from me, and we both roast our own coffee. It has become pretty fun to compare and discuss our current roasts over the phone all the while planning for September.
I would suggest dabbling with the Aeropress first because it's a great way to make a quality cup in the backcountry. Purchase some high quality beans from a local roaster. I like to grind it fresh, so buy whole beans. I have found consistent quality by using 20g of ground coffee and 300g of water heated to 205.
Let me know if you have specific questions, and good luck!

Let's just say only a few years ago I was experimenting with the Aeropress (especially for backpacking), and now today I am roasting my own beans at home. I like doing things myself, but mostly I hated giving my money to coffee shops that share a completely differently value system than me.
I have become a bit of a coffee snob, and it's developed into a little hobby (as if I don't have enough). My main hunting partner lives half way across the country from me, and we both roast our own coffee. It has become pretty fun to compare and discuss our current roasts over the phone all the while planning for September.
I would suggest dabbling with the Aeropress first because it's a great way to make a quality cup in the backcountry. Purchase some high quality beans from a local roaster. I like to grind it fresh, so buy whole beans. I have found consistent quality by using 20g of ground coffee and 300g of water heated to 205.
Let me know if you have specific questions, and good luck!
I have a few, mainly from information overload.

1. I like to have 2 cups in the morning, and usually use a thermos. Looking for a consistent "daily" recipe that might not necessarily require measurements.

2. Inverted vs. normal- flavor difference? I have not tried inverted but everyone who has one raves about it.

3. Is it worth getting a hand grinder and getting whole beans. Again, zero experience with it.

Qweezy-art drip coffemaker and fresh ground beans,french roast from Slo roasted is my usual now. Stovetop esspresso maker if I wish,french press too. Big percolator is backup for woodstove in no power situations.
Just like GOOD coffee,black usually.

A burr grinder and freshly ground beans are the single thing that make most difference in how your coffee tastes. Hand grinders are a mixed bag. Many of them only have the top or the bottom of the burr full stabilized leading to a wobble as you grind. The better ones have stabilization at the top and the bottom. I found a vintage Zassenhaus on ebay for cheap that has top and bottom stability. It works great for camping and the occasional moka pot that I like but don't want to adjust the grind on my big burr grinder for.

Folger's Classic Roast and a 19.99 Black and Decker coffee maker does it for me. I like it black.
I do the same thing but I have been thinking about trying black rifle coffee instead

Last edited:
I have a few, mainly from information overload.

1. I like to have 2 cups in the morning, and usually use a thermos. Looking for a consistent "daily" recipe that might not necessarily require measurements.

2. Inverted vs. normal- flavor difference? I have not tried inverted but everyone who has one raves about it.

3. Is it worth getting a hand grinder and getting whole beans. Again, zero experience with it.
1) Find a scoop that you can figure how many it takes to equate 20g of coffee. I use a ratio of 20g coffee : 300g water. You could also see what line on the aeropress meets those numbers or your taste preference, and then roll with that.

2) I use the inverted method, but that's only because I always have and I like the results... so why change it?

3) Absolutely yes, buy a hand grinder. You can buy a perfectly fine hand burr grinder for like $40. The best part of a hand grinder is it's ability to be taken while camping and hunting. Most of my coffee system that I use at home is easily taken with me backpacking and hunting.

Don't get overwhelmed by the information overload out there. To be honest, my palate is not sophisticated enough to taste all the subtle flavors people talk about. I'm somewhere in between "keep your Folgers garbage away from me" and "the floral notes of this Ethiopian blend are delicious". I guess you can relate it to the countless threads you'll find on here regarding broadhead selection. They all kill animals, just find what works for you and roll with it.

Folger's Classic Roast and a 19.99 Black and Decker coffee maker does it for me. I like it black.
Yes sirree Bob! (URHO?)
I get out of bed at 6:00AM CDT. On the way to the kitchen, I let the dogs out and immediately get a cup of coffee!
Folgers "Classic Roast"!
Can't be beat!

Have done iterations of pour over, french press, Bialetti, and of course standard issue. Best cup I've ever had was from a snobby acquaintance with great hair, burr grinder, and aero press. The aero method done right is just past what I consider too much of a hassle for one cup of coffee. Or maybe said snobby acquaintance just made me feel like only a practiced aficionado like him could pull off that black magic in less than 5 minutes.

Of the stuff we've owned the Bialetti made my favorite cup of coffee, but I really only care to use it on a gas stove.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back