Coastal black bear + fishing guide/outfitter recommendation and tips?

davinski

I haven't done much research other than to be hit by the good idea fairy for this hunt for my adult son and me next spring. I've been to AK once in 2010 for a drop camp moose hunt and had a blast. But I don't know what I don't know about something like this. I figured I'd start by asking here. Googling seems to just produce a giant unorganized gaggle of pics and stories but not much meat.

Is having an OTC tag realistic to expect success?

For a spring hunt, is it realistic to try to combine it with some good fishing?

If so, can anyone recommend a good guide, outfitter, or transporter?

Thanks in advance, apologies for my ignorance. I'm just a dumb elk guy from CO.

D

Some areas in SE are draws and some are OTC. There are very good OTC areas to hunt. Most of SE is remote and will require logistics and hunt planning. In AK a Guide & an Outfitter are basically the same thing. A Transporter (is Licensed) offers transport for you your gear & your game to and from the field and sometimes housing in the field.

There would be some freshwater Steelhead fishing as well as Halibut and other bottom fish, crabbing & shrimping. If your going to do that on your own it would also require some planning. But is very doable. Fishing and hunting could be worked into your daily schedule but most of the time hunting is the priority and there isn't much time for fishing.

If you decide to go guided there are many reputable Guides to choose from offering different types of hunts. Some offer fishing included packages.

I haven't done much research other than to be hit by the good idea fairy for this hunt for my adult son and me next spring. I've been to AK once in 2010 for a drop camp moose hunt and had a blast. But I don't know what I don't know about something like this. I figured I'd start by asking here. Googling seems to just produce a giant unorganized gaggle of pics and stories but not much meat.

Is having an OTC tag realistic to expect success?

For a spring hunt, is it realistic to try to combine it with some good fishing?

If so, can anyone recommend a good guide, outfitter, or transporter?

Thanks in advance, apologies for my ignorance. I'm just a dumb elk guy from CO.

D
D,

I have hunted with Coffman Cove Adventures on Prince of Wales Island and fully recommend them. It is a do-it-yourself hunt, but they will provide comfortable cabins and meals and a great 4x4 suburban and skiff for your hunt. They also have fully kitted boats for fishing Halibut and everything else, we just didnt fish so I can't comment on that part. The price was very reasonable, considering what it would be to rough it I would say the value was incredible.

I have used Sam Dalin of Dalin Charters & Guiding out of Ketchikan AK. He does very well on all the things you mentioned you would like to do. Look at his Facebook postings, give him call , he is easy to talk to.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back