Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO - Went Elk scouting *(early for my 1st rifle tag)

BrokenChicken

Went on my first scouting mission for ELK over the weekend.
This will be my 2nd year hunting, and where last year i just rolled up to my unit the night before opener, after doing tons of e-scouting. this year i drew a different unit and decided to get familiar with the land and try to find some elk.
CO , West of I-25 😁
besides just scouting, i enjoy backpacking/hiking/high lakes fishing, so this trip was scouting and looking for fishing spots combo. Millage i put in over the weekend i think is beyond what most would say is reasonable for packing out an animal. But it was still fun to get way way back into the back-country and find 150+ ELK, and even a few Mule bucks
**sorry for shaky free-handing photos with iPhone through binos.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 128
West of I-25 huh! Hey, that's where I am hunting! 🐸

Thanks for sharing the photos. Get's the pump working. A hunter can roll up and start hunting mule deer and pronghorn but Elk hunting is a different ballgame ain't it? I would say you are dialed into where you are going to hunt. The more pre-season scouting, the higher the probability of harvesting an elk. Just simple math really.

Thanks for sharing. And please update us when it all works out for you this year!

will do. i plan on going back out again sometime in September as it gets closer to 1st Rifle, **i'll make sure to try and not get in the way of any archery guys out there. i'll try to remember and update then.

will do. i plan on going back out again sometime in September as it gets closer to 1st Rifle, **i'll make sure to try and not get in the way of any archery guys out there. i'll try to remember and update then.

Please do...man did I ever look forward to scouting...not that I was worth a crap at it, but just being in country made me feel like my chances were better for the season. Sure made bs'ing with my hunt mates more fun too.

will be doing the same thing next weekend myself for a W of I25 unit, but won’t it be a tad irrelevant where the elk are now and in September compared to where they will be in first rifle? I’m looking to get acquainted with the unit, the terrain, glassing spots, etc. I know finding elk would be great, but shouldn’t it just be taken with a grain of salt?

Went on my first scouting mission for ELK over the weekend.
This will be my 2nd year hunting, and where last year i just rolled up to my unit the night before opener, after doing tons of e-scouting. this year i drew a different unit and decided to get familiar with the land and try to find some elk.
CO , West of I-25 😁
besides just scouting, i enjoy backpacking/hiking/high lakes fishing, so this trip was scouting and looking for fishing spots combo. Millage i put in over the weekend i think is beyond what most would say is reasonable for packing out an animal. But it was still fun to get way way back into the back-country and find 150+ ELK, and even a few Mule bucks
**sorry for shaky free-handing photos with iPhone through binos.
Congratulations on your scouting trip. Now, don't expect any of those elk to be anywhere close to that area once season rolls around. :D

But it's always encouraging to see them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back