Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CO Unit 43 Early-Mid Sept Archery

SCWayne

Hi guys. I'm new here, just discovered this forum listening to Randy's podcasts. I'm from upstate South Carolina, and will be traveling out to CO this year for the archery elk season from Sept. 7-16. I've been hunting whitetail, turkey, and hogs for years now down here, and have been fairly successful, but this will be my first trip out west elk hunting. I have heard the western hunting is amazing, but also very different hunting from what I am used to. I can't wait to check it out! Myself, along with a couple buddies, will be backpacking in a few miles, and hunting from camp. All but 1 of us will have either sex elk tags, and the 1 guy without an elk tag will be carrying a black bear tag.

Seeing how I live so far away, and with limited vacation time, I won't be able to come scout before season, and so I have been trying to learn as much as possible about e-scouting and what type of terrain and habitat elk like during the early season. I have looked in several units in CO, and have really liked what I have seen in unit 43 on the onx maps and google earth, particularly in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness area. I have several spots in mind there to try out, and was just wondering if I could ask someone with experience doing this elk hunting thing if I am going in the right direction, or if I need to change up what I'm looking for.

Unit 43 is sweet. I hunted 1st rifle there last year and while our group only filled 1 of 3 tags, it was one of the better elk hunts I've been on. We saw elk everyday and just couldn't quite get the shot opportunities. East of highway 133 the unit is steep, even for Colorado standards. There are a lot of big, deep canyons that elk can hole up in. Don't write off the public areas west of 133 either. There are certainly elk there and the terrain is a bit more mellow. One more thing to think about if going early September is that Coloradans (and tourists) seem to love their wilderness areas to death. Literally. September is a busy time of year in the Maroon-Bells with the aspens changing color. Get deep in and off trail and people will thin out. I don't have a ton of experience in the unit but feel free to PM if you'd like. I'll be doing a backpack trip in the Bells next weekend as well. Also, there are tons of bears up there so your hunter with the bear tag should get excited too!

Have you done much backpacking before? If not I would recommend doing as much of that as you can before you to come out and attempt the Maroon Bells. Also remember that the dates you have planned will be over lapping with muzzleloader season. Best of luck and stay safe!

I have been in that country in sept before. I would avoid all the main hiking trails and touristy areas, it's a giant CF that time of the year. You can call the Forest Service and they will identify those areas for you. Dinkle Lake and Mt. Sopris are two areas that come to mind.

What was said is very true for the most part about GMU 43. The main trails and trail heads keep pretty busy with hikers but the more obscure trails see far less hikers. The hikers tend to stay the trails. So you get back off the main trails even a mile and you will see few hikers if any. Even the Dinkle lake area holds some Elk if you know where to go but the locals would prefer you not be there for sure. I live in NC and hunting Colorado is much more physically tough hunting than deer hunting in the south. It seems like when you start out from your truck it's all up hill, and up and up and up. The elevation change can hit some hard initially too especially if you try to go up too quick. But it's beautiful country unlike anywhere in the south and your hunt for better or worse will be unforgettable.

As September approaches it would be beneficial to watch out for wildfires. The northern part of the unit is in fire. It is a long ways from where you are looking but somthing to keep an eye on.

I was the same as you about 4 years ago. From VA, came out to 43 for my 1st elk archery hunt and we had a blast. It got me hooked and have been to a different state each year hunting since. It took us the 1st 2 days to really learn the area, but we found elk the 3rd day and every day afterwards. 1st thing I’ll tell you is there are a lot of recreational hikers/campers in the area. Stay away from peaks and trails that lead to them. No offense, but you’re not going to out hike these guys. They’re literally hiking for fun. We did use one trial to only get 1/2 mile away from trail head, and then dove off another 1/2 mile-to mile and found them. Know your slope limitations. Gaia gps has a good layer to look at. When E scouting you’re going to see all these “great spots.” I showed up and was just overwhelmed thinking I was gonna be able to ascend 1,500 ft in a half mile(for the most part not gonna happen) find an obstacle(rough quick elevation up or down, or beetle kill) that makes a spot unattractive to others. One morning we were late show up to the spot because the 1st 2 spots we pulled up too were covered with hunting trucks compared to hiker vehicles, got to the end of the trail head and found out that outfitter camp. At This point I was just to the point I wanted to get out of truck and start hunting so said screw it and got going. we found an area covered in bulls only a mile from that camp, because it was all Beetle kill between the camp of them that probably kept most of those hunters away.

Hunted this GMU 43 last year fro second rifle. Hunted hard out of a drop camp for 6 days. We did 12-18 miles each day sun up to sundown. We saw one Elk. We had a tough week of moon phase and tons of hunting pressure. It was beautiful though. Wondering if I want to go back though; there's some areas I would go back to and some I would skip, you learn each time

You are pretty tough to walk that many miles a day in that country or were you on horseback? Considering you only saw one Elk I would definitely do something different. If you were in a drop camp I assume you probably paid some money for the camp too? Considering the hunting pressure I would definitely consider either a different season, a different unit or a different state. If you could get tags for the first rifle season there would likely be much less pressure. I hunted 1st rifle in that unit one year and there wasn't much pressure and I saw Elk but it was a short season and we didn't figure out where they were till about day 4. Colorado GMU 43 1st rifle was a draw tag and we had no preference points but still managed to draw tags but that was 2012. If you want to hunt Colorado maybe check out the first rifle season and your odds of drawing for that unit or some other units. Also consider a draw tag for a Cow tag in a good unit. No shame in taking a cow, you will learn a lot and likely up your odds of taking some meat home. If you don't draw you can still buy a 2nd rifle tag or a tag in another state.

Maybe consider Utah. There is a good chance you could get a general "Any Bull" tag in Utah. Unless they changed the process they can be bought over the counter but are limited so you would need to buy your tag online the minute they become available as they have been selling out fast lately even though I think about 15,000 tags are available. I think they sold out in about a week last year?

Montana is a draw tag but you have a fair chance of drawing your first try. Best to buy a preference point if you enter the draw as it slightly ups your odds of drawing a tag. Montana has many good areas to hunt if you draw a general tag and you can hunt either archery or Rifle or both with your General Elk combo tag should you draw.

As to hunting Elk, covering a lot of ground is fine for locating Elk sign but if you are constantly on the move you are probably more likely to push many more Elk away than you will ever see. I hunted Montana last year DIY for the first time during archery and saw and heard Elk on many occasions. I have also hunted Colorado, Idaho and Utah and saw and heard more Elk in Montana than anywhere else but Utah wasn't bad either and tags were cheaper in Utah. Be smart, stubborn and patient, quiet and walk with the wind in your face at all times and you will get into some Elk.

You are pretty tough to walk that many miles a day in that country or were you on horseback? Considering you only saw one Elk I would definitely do something different. If you were in a drop camp I assume you probably paid some money for the camp too? Considering the hunting pressure I would definitely consider either a different season, a different unit or a different state. If you could get tags for the first rifle season there would likely be much less pressure. I hunted 1st rifle in that unit one year and there wasn't much pressure and I saw Elk but it was a short season and we didn't figure out where they were till about day 4. Colorado GMU 43 1st rifle was a draw tag and we had no preference points but still managed to draw tags but that was 2012. If you want to hunt Colorado maybe check out the first rifle season and your odds of drawing for that unit or some other units. Also consider a draw tag for a Cow tag in a good unit. No shame in taking a cow, you will learn a lot and likely up your odds of taking some meat home. If you don't draw you can still buy a 2nd rifle tag or a tag in another state.

Maybe consider Utah. There is a good chance you could get a general "Any Bull" tag in Utah. Unless they changed the process they can be bought over the counter but are limited so you would need to buy your tag online the minute they become available as they have been selling out fast lately even though I think about 15,000 tags are available. I think they sold out in about a week last year?

Montana is a draw tag but you have a fair chance of drawing your first try. Best to buy a preference point if you enter the draw as it slightly ups your odds of drawing a tag. Montana has many good areas to hunt if you draw a general tag and you can hunt either archery or Rifle or both with your General Elk combo tag should you draw.

As to hunting Elk, covering a lot of ground is fine for locating Elk sign but if you are constantly on the move you are probably more likely to push many more Elk away than you will ever see. I hunted Montana last year DIY for the first time during archery and saw and heard Elk on many occasions. I have also hunted Colorado, Idaho and Utah and saw and heard more Elk in Montana than anywhere else but Utah wasn't bad either and tags were cheaper in Utah. Be smart, stubborn and patient, quiet and walk with the wind in your face at all times and you will get into some Elk.
Roughwater,

First thank you for the thorough reply. Great information, especially the bits about Montana. So we were in a drop camp and had paid an outfitter. That outfitter was trash honestly, the campsite was in need on many repair and they were more than unhelpful on advice within the unit and other issues. Those miles were mostly on foot, actually the last couple days we did less miles im sure because we had narrowed down some areas. But anyway I only had a cow tag, I am much more interested in the meat than trophy, def have zero shame in taking a cow. I am stubborn so that makes me want to go back to 43 lol; its like I don't want to accept anything close to defeat from that unit. And it wasn't until day 3 we figured out some areas where they had been, some of their highways. Anyway im splitting hairs im sure. I hunted late season NM last year after that unsuccessful hunt and took a cow so we are eating good.

I put in for Utah, NM, and about to put in for Montana. Trying to build some odds in other places. Im a resident here in CO. Now I have 3 points for Elk so maybe next year ill burn them, not sure. Kinda want to save for an amazing archery hunt. Montana seems great, would jump to head out there!

Speaking archery this year I am going to try and carry elk, muley, and add on bear tag. So that should be fun.

Roughwater,

First thank you for the thorough reply. Great information, especially the bits about Montana. So we were in a drop camp and had paid an outfitter. That outfitter was trash honestly, the campsite was in need on many repair and they were more than unhelpful on advice within the unit and other issues. Those miles were mostly on foot, actually the last couple days we did less miles im sure because we had narrowed down some areas. But anyway I only had a cow tag, I am much more interested in the meat than trophy, def have zero shame in taking a cow. I am stubborn so that makes me want to go back to 43 lol; its like I don't want to accept anything close to defeat from that unit. And it wasn't until day 3 we figured out some areas where they had been, some of their highways. Anyway im splitting hairs im sure. I hunted late season NM last year after that unsuccessful hunt and took a cow so we are eating good.

I put in for Utah, NM, and about to put in for Montana. Trying to build some odds in other places. Im a resident here in CO. Now I have 3 points for Elk so maybe next year ill burn them, not sure. Kinda want to save for an amazing archery hunt. Montana seems great, would jump to head out there!

Speaking archery this year I am going to try and carry elk, muley, and add on bear tag. So that should be fun.

I have always thought drop camps may be kinda second tier. These outfitters usually have other fully guided clients that pay more, and, therefore, are guided to better areas. Can't say if this is true or not, just seems like how it would operate. I wouldn't give up on 43, especially now that you know where not to go. First rifle may be a different experience.

I have always thought drop camps may be kinda second tier. These outfitters usually have other fully guided clients that pay more, and, therefore, are guided to better areas. Can't say if this is true or not, just seems like how it would operate. I wouldn't give up on 43, especially now that you know where not to go. First rifle may be a different experience.
Agreed I have heard this too and it makes sense. Honestly though, this just boiled down to the guys character who ran the show. I won't bore you with the details but the guy was just an ass honestly. Moving on , yeah I think ill be back to 43 at some point. maybe this year maybe next. I already put in at work for second rifle this year as I wanted to get another pref point so I won't be hunting first rifle. At some point I will. Thanks for the reply

Back