Caribou Gear

CO question

Basser

Applied for PP again this year and I think this will have me up to 5 or 6 points for both deer and elk. My question is this, can you apply for a hunt and not use your points? A couple buddies that I hunt with have finally gotten onto the idea of hunting CO after several years of me telling them that they would eventually want to. The hunt we are looking at for next year is an archery hunt that you can get with 0 or 1 point. Can we apply for it and not put my points on the line? Eventually I would like to pull a rifle tag that requires more points than what I have now and don't want to start over.

I'm pretty sure with CO, whoever has the least number of points on a group application is the number of points that will be used for everyone in the drawing. So if your buddies have 0 points, you will have 0 points in the drawing, despite your 6. You will also lose your points when you draw your first choice tag. Soooo, if you put in with your buddies and draw your first choice, i THINK that you will lose all your points. You could all put in for a point first and then put your unit second. Then you would get another point, and your 2nd choice tag if you draw. I'm not 100% sure on all that though, so let someone else confirm all that....

You only use your points when you are successful on your first choice...and loose all your points whether it took 0 points or 20 points to draw that hunt. The only way to assure you retain your points is to find a unit you want to hunt that has tags that make it to the 2nd choice or lesser draws.

When applying in groups you use the point total of the lowest guy in your group. So if you've got 5 and he's got 1...you'll both burn all your points on a first choice.

5 or 6 points is a respectable amount of point dedication that would be a shame to burn on a 1 point unit. I would look at attractive units that you can pull as second choice for Deer and Elk or just go with Deer leftovers and Elk OTC.

Looks like drthornton and I were typing our response at the exact same time...
I agree with what he said though, either do an easy draw second choice or an OTC unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back