Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CO Preference Point

Dooger

I’ve never applied for a CO PP.

Am I reading it right that I need to buy a NR small game license before I even apply for a deer PP?

Thanks in advance...

There’s more...keep looking.

I have a hard time spending $500-$1000 on small game licenses I’ll never use just for a good deer tag years down the road. We’re not all rich. I’ll stay closer to home. CO is a solid two day drive for me. All those other states you listed are even further and I’m a solo guy.

Last edited:
Point building definitely isn't getting any cheaper, neither are tag prices. Everybody's gotta decide for themselves if they can justify the cost. I can't justify the cost in some states, so I don't participate there.

I don't begrudge CO for this though. Points for elk/deer/pronghorn (when buying all 3) are still cheaper than most other states, and the tag cost is reasonable relative to what other states are charging as well. CO is just selling you a hunting license instead of calling it a "point fee."

I think this was all discussed in another thread. So if you always bought deer and elk points anyway, it's still roughly the same price right? No biggie.

However, I think they are setting the stage to bump that up in the next few years. So you'll be required to buy the $81 small game license AND $40 for deer point, $50 for elk point or something like that. Just my guess.

I think this was all discussed in another thread. So if you always bought deer and elk points anyway, it's still roughly the same price right? No biggie.

However, I think they are setting the stage to bump that up in the next few years. So you'll be required to buy the $81 small game license AND $40 for deer point, $50 for elk point or something like that. Just my guess.

I'm sure you are right. Everyone else is doing it, so why not. IMO this will have an effect on point creep, maybe small but it will lessen it. I honestly think at some point they will reach the threshold where people just don't care to apply, or care in general how the game is managed because the "reward" isn't worth the price. This is a very dangerous position to be in to manage public wildlife. Pricing people out, means less people care, means less people to fight opposition to hunting down the road.

There’s more...keep looking.

I have a hard time spending $500-$1000 on small game licenses I’ll never use just for a good deer tag years down the road. We’re not all rich. I’ll stay closer to home. CO is a solid two day drive for me. All those other states you listed are even further and I’m a solo guy.

Agreed. It bugs me to think that I'd have $1000+ in hunting licenses and points before I ever drew the $400 tag I wanted.

When I consider that I have a finite amount of vacation time each year, and I can hunt elk, mule deer, and pronghorn as a resident every year, I have a hard time coughing out money for NR preference points for those species. I understand why those without western residency do it though.

Pricing people out, means less people care, means less people to fight opposition to hunting down the road.

To be clear though you are just pricing out NR who are traveling out of state to hunt, this doesn't mean those same people won't hunt in their home state and/or won't be there to fight opposition to hunting.

I just bought my deer point (point only, didn't apply for an actual tag), and this was the fee breakdown:

Application Fee $9.00
Small Game License $81.75
Habitat Stamp $10.00

Total $100.75

I searched the CPW site online to see if there would be the additional $40.00 point fee once they do the draws, but there was no mention of an additional fee at a later date, leading me to believe $100.75 would be the grand total. I called CPW to confirm and the gal told me that I would be charged $40.00 once the draws were done. So I then pointed her to what I was looking at online and she changed her story to agree with mine but she wasn't very convincing. The only additional charges located for points were for Sheep, Moose, Goats at $100.

I think I'm set at $100.75 for the deer point. Is that the way you guys understand it?

Last edited:
^ that should be correct

After your small game license and habitat stamp, you're only paying the app fee for a point, unless it's the big three. So if you're not gonna hunt CO this year, might as well sweep up points for everything for just an additional application fee for each species.

HMMM, so elk and deer grand total would be 109.75 ? I have 4 of each and don't plan to hunt CO this year. I figure I have enough points to go hunt and will never catch up for the premium units/hunts, so I figured I might as well camp in the 4 point range before investing more $ and getting into the "no man's land". Any thoughts on that theory?

Last edited:
To be clear though you are just pricing out NR who are traveling out of state to hunt, this doesn't mean those same people won't hunt in their home state and/or won't be there to fight opposition to hunting.

Fair point, but on the other hand, why should I care if trapping in CO for bobcats is banned or wolves are transplanted or predator hunting banned, etc? If I no longer hunt in CO, I probably won't care because it doesn't affect me. Erosion of hunting rights and wildlife management happens locally. NRs pay for a lot of what CO residents enjoy, and the same can be said for just about any state in the West... you'll need all the allies you can get in the years ahead as your state (and others) continue to turn anti-hunting. Sure I'd fight for my rights in my home state, but if it comes down to me dropping $2-300 for drawings in my home state or yours... I'm spending it at home and becoming far less concerned about what happens in yours because I'm no longer involved.

HMMM, so elk and deer grand total would be 109.75 ? I have 4 of each and don't plan to hunt CO this year. I figure I have enough points to go hunt and will never catch up for the premium units/hunts, so I igured I might as well camp in the 4 point range before investing more $ and getting into the "no man's land". Any thoughts on that theory?

Mm, if it were me I'd pick up another for 9 bucks, doesn't hurt much. You might hone in on some standardish unit in the future and realize that one extra point makes the difference.

Last edited:
Fair point, but on the other hand, why should I care if trapping in CO for bobcats is banned or wolves are transplanted or predator hunting banned, etc? If I no longer hunt in CO, I probably won't care because it doesn't affect me. Erosion of hunting rights and wildlife management happens locally. NRs pay for a lot of what CO residents enjoy, and the same can be said for just about any state in the West... you'll need all the allies you can get in the years ahead as your state (and others) continue to turn anti-hunting. Sure I'd fight for my rights in my home state, but if it comes down to me dropping $2-300 for drawings in my home state or yours... I'm spending it at home and becoming far less concerned about what happens in yours because I'm no longer involved.

I fundamentally disagree with this argument, and 100% do not buy the idea that either public land/hunting rights advocacy is linked to hunting license price. I think that the individuals that whine about licenses prices and use this specific line of argument aren't going to do anything in the first place.

A similar but opposite argument has been leveled at RMEF, WTF, DU, etc for decades; "You only are restoring wildlife so you can hunt it." Time and time again people who care about our natural resources have shown that they are willing to put in hard work to fight for natural resources regardless of their own personal ability to use said resources. Teddy Roosevelt, who we all love to extol, typified this; Roosevelt worked throughout his political career to protect public lands and wildlife even though he had the means to hunt regardless of what happened to those resources in the long-term. Your average RMBS member is probably never going to hunt a sheep, if bighorn populations dwindled to the point where we couldn't hunt them I don't think guys like Oak would just quit, in fact they would probably redouble their efforts. The people who advocate for our resources and want them to exist for those "in the womb of time" do so for reasons far beyond personal use, and I think it's insulting to argue otherwise.

On the public land front I have have met lot of people hunters and non-hunters alike who don't understand the issue. Many have said well I don't do XYZ on public lands why should I care, after I explain the problem, what public lands are and why they are important they almost always change their mind or at least see the value. I have yet to met someone who is antagonistic to public lands simply because CO, WY, or MT has an expensive elk tag.

I agree those of us who value hunting, fishing, and recreating in the outdoors need all the allies we can get, in my mind those who say they won't advocate for these things because they don't get to enjoy them at the price they want are just mercenaries; fighting the battle so long as they profit and I'm not interested at paying them at any price.

What is the sweet spot for points in CO? Meaning, is there a level where another couple of points won't open up very many more units? Looking over Toprut, you have to be in it for the long haul once you get over 4 or 5 elk points. I'm too old to wait around and will burn mine by then. But deer seems to be some benefit to accumulating points after year 5. But I'll still burn before then.

Someone should publish a sweet spot article for each state.

I don't know what the sweet spot is necessarily, if there is one. However, as a resident, a few points here and there definitely open up options. That should mean, generally, as a nonresident, just 1.5 or 2x that and it also opens you up to some better options. And if you find a great spot for 3 points and you have 5, big deal, go hunt it, while points are "cheap" that is.

What is the sweet spot for points in CO? Meaning, is there a level where another couple of points won't open up very many more units? Looking over Toprut, you have to be in it for the long haul once you get over 4 or 5 elk points. I'm too old to wait around and will burn mine by then. But deer seems to be some benefit to accumulating points after year 5. But I'll still burn before then.

Someone should publish a sweet spot article for each state.

I’m pondering that question myself. With 8 deer and 7 elk pp’s I’m kinda in no mans land. Not planning to try and draw a hunt in CO for a few years so trying to decide if I should just ‘hang out’ with my current pp’s Or continue to build? With the 5 year management plan being refined I may go ahead and splurge again this year and see if there are any future changes that justify continuing to purchase or not... it’s not so much the cost of the pp’s that bother me, it’s that their value is minimal/diluted under the current rules/draws/system/etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back