Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CO OTC Archery hunt timing

nontyp

Planning to hunt an otc unit in Colorado this year. I’m just wondering with the muzz season being mid september, would it be better to go sometime in early september or wait until after the 22nd. That time after the 22nd looks appealing. Anyone hunt that time frame? Or has anyone hunted early and late in the season? What is the comparison?

My experience in the otc units has been that the hunting pressure is almost non existent before muzzleloader. It gets extremely busy during the muzzy season and you have to drastically changed your approach and get into much more rugged country. After muzzleloader the pressure really tapers off but the archery hunters who are left seem to be very dedicated and will go as far as you can imagine after the elk. I’ve had good encounters with bugling during all 3 periods and good hunts. I understand my experience may just be unique to the unit I hunted but I personally will be attempting to avoid the muzzleloader season from now on. Last season I was after a nice 6x6 that was using a certain meadow each morning. Required a few miles of walking but was worth it to not spook all the elk. Opening day of muzzleloader I arrived at the meadow to find a guy sitting on the edge of the meadow with his truck running sleeping inside. I could still hear the truck and smell the diesel from 1/8 mile away. No elk there after that lol. Just my thoughts though. Good luck.

I have had very similar experiences with hunters. Early season can be hot and mostly a very early and very late in the day deal. Muzzy saw an influx of hunters, same amount of bowhunters, just add the ML guys to the mix and plenty of horses! . Last week of Sept. was best rut action but the diehard guys were burning up the boot leather, good for them, they earn em!

Archery season is very water dependent. It can still be very warm in the beginning of the season and many wallows and holes are dried up. Lately the rutting action hasn't been happening until later in the season, so in my opinion, I would wait and hope for some rain. I would do some map studying and look for escape routes and sanctuary type areas from the muzzy season. From my experience the muzzy hunters get out there and stomp around and blow the hell out of the latest and greatest bugle tube on the market and many elk become call shy. Look for where they might escape to and use cow calls sparingly as a locator.

I have done otc units before, during and after muzzleloader. Imo, before muzzleloader you deal with yuppies and there dogs, during muzzy it is a lot of wheelers running roads stopping to call on each ridge point, after muzzy you get all who are left and are more aggressive as season is winding down. If you go during or after muzzy just go for broke. Either kil the elk or run it out of the drainage trying cuz if you don’t someone else will.
For what it’s worth, I prefer the week leading up to muzzy.

Thanks for all the input guys. Quick follow up question. I see some units have an early september rifle deer hunt. The tag numbers are low, but just curious what kind of impact this has on the elk?

Thanks for all the input guys. Quick follow up question. I see some units have an early september rifle deer hunt. The tag numbers are low, but just curious what kind of impact this has on the elk?

They work in your favor. Most of the rifle hunters are up above tree line. Early morning usually finds me at tree line, waiting for the herds of elk to come filing by after feeding all night above tree line.

I think this depends on where you are at as every different piece of country has its differences in how the elk rut, pressure, so many differences. The best piece of advice I can think of is spend time out there during each part of the season to learn the unit and the habits of the elk. As a piece of general advice, if you don’t have the option to spend lots of time to learn it, go early before muzzleloader because the elk tend to be fresh and not as harassed by the masses yet.
The advice of charge in to a spot hunt it like hell and blow all of the elk out cause someone else is going to do it is why elk haul ass and end up on the private and become unhuntable for the remainder, I would avoid that suggestion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back