Caribou Gear

CO Kremmling Area

Brachii

Anyone live or have extensive experience hunting near Kremmling? I'm looking at some units nearby and have some questions about road access and hunting pressure before I send in my apps. Please send a PM if you know about the area. Thanks!

Anyone live or have extensive experience hunting near Kremmling? I'm looking at some units nearby and have some questions about road access and hunting pressure before I send in my apps. Please send a PM if you know about the area. Thanks!

I can give you my two cents.

I love the fishing in that area - Granby, Williams Fork, Stagecoach, Dillion, The Colorado, and The Yampa.

Pike, Kokanee, Lakers, and Arctic Char within a short drive

There are a ton of bears, a ton of elk, a good population of moose, and apparently lynx in the area.

The Bears actually live in steamboat springs city limits and are also present all over bear's ear pass, granby, and in the mountains.

Elk are pretty much everywhere - Oak Creek , Steamboat, Granby, Hayden, etc.

There are a lot of people that hunt it on the OTC.

With Mule Deer, I dunno if I would hunt it unless you got an 1st or 4th season.

The 4th season by Granby is easy to draw for a reason. Thick timber.

Over by Craig is a lot better option for Mule Deer, but it costs a lot more points.

If you do hunt deer, then early they will be high and later they will be on the edge of private in the valleys. At least this was the case up by Walden.

I am sure more people will have more information than I do, I only lived in Steamboat for 9 months and this was my experience.

PMs sent— thanks guys. I’m not interested in anyone’s honey hole. I like doing my own scouting, but knowledge on typical hunting pressure and road conditions helps a lot! I’ll always return the favor if I can!

I hunted elk in 181 and 17 last year, archery mid September. Only saw a few small bucks up high off the divide. Saw more deer around the Aspen's but they were all small bucks and does. Roads were rocky and rough as hell but there seemed to be a lot of them.

Back