Caribou Gear

CO hunting atlas

SmTN

First time hunting elk or out west. I’m working on a plan for second rifle in CO. After talking to a hunt planner over the phone I’m curious how valuable it is to hunt an area with a resident population. Reading through some of the other threads on here it sounds like most every unit holds elk but it would seem like the ones with a resident population should be better. I don't mean to be the guy that plans his first trip and asks for GPS coordinates to find elk but I’m curious how much stock I should in the resident population areas vs the concentration areas. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you look carefully at the overlays of property type, it becomes evident that those resident herds are largely on private and very likely hole up on private well before 2nd rifle starts. Others may have different opinions - this is just my 2 cents.

I'm no expert, but that is a good place to start, but don't read it like gospel because those maps are estimates.

Also, weather can play a large role in where they are located, but there is no way of knowing that months in advance if it will be a cold snowy second season or a balmy second season.

resident herds mean there are elk that hang out there all year, doesn't necessarily mean there are A LOT of elk that hang out there all year

Generally speaking the way to use those layers, as a NR who hasn't been to the area, is to pick a unit then look to see where the elk are likely to be based on the layers; use the summer concentration for archery/muzzy season and the winter concentration for OTC rifle.

It's not perfect but it will give you a place to start. There are tons of elk running around outside the concentration areas, but for a beginner or someone new to CO the concentration areas are a decent place to start.

For a couple species/ spots they are scary accurate, as in that's literally the only spot in the unit you will find X animal with 800 yard accuracy.

Generally speaking the way to use those layers, as a NR who hasn't been to the area, is to pick a unit then look to see where the elk are likely to be based on the layers; use the summer concentration for archery/muzzy season and the winter concentration for OTC rifle.

It's not perfect but it will give you a place to start. There are tons of elk running around outside the concentration areas, but for a beginner or someone new to CO the concentration areas are a decent place to start.

For a couple species/ spots they are scary accurate, as in that's literally the only spot in the unit you will find X animal with 800 yard accuracy.
I'll 2nd what Wllm1313 says. I've looked into some of the "resident" herd data being there are a few close to me that allow me to watch alot. Ag land is a big factor and in alot of them that will be where the resident herds spend 90% of their time. I would not base a hunt around resident herd data for a multitude of reasons. I'd do as wllm1313 suggests and try and find the bigger concentrations with multiple herds. If you accidentally blow a herd out of the country hopefully you can get on another one.

All in all the data is pretty good, but without boots on the ground and experience in the Units over the years it can be a steep learning curve putting it all together during a hunt.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m pretty fired up to get out there and start figuring things out. Hopefully we’ll find an elk or 2.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back