Co gmu 67

rmyoung1

Has anyone out there ever hunted GMU 67 in Colorado? I have a stack of deer preference points I plan on burning in 2016. This year I hope to hunt elk there during the 4th season. I hope to get into some elk and learn some things about the unit in advance of my deer hunt. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom or advice for me? I'd greatly appreciate the info if you have any to pass along.

Last edited:
For elk the La Garita wilderness is a great area. Hunted the 66 side with success most seasons. The deer will be lower towards powderhorn or along coceptoa creek by Nov. The Gunnison Basin is the best part of Colorado. Enjoy your hunt

What is a "stack of points"? I've spent a bit of time hunting deer in 67, what kind of deer are you looking for? Lots of young bucks for sure.

What is a "stack of points"? I've spent a bit of time hunting deer in 67, what kind of deer are you looking for? Lots of young bucks for sure.

I'll be trying to draw the tag with 13 pref points. I'm hoping to find a nice mature deer. I've harvested my fair share of smaller muley bucks. I'd like to find one of those yeah-shoot-that-deer-type of bucks on this hunt. :D

For elk the La Garita wilderness is a great area. Hunted the 66 side with success most seasons. The deer will be lower towards powderhorn or along coceptoa creek by Nov. The Gunnison Basin is the best part of Colorado. Enjoy your hunt

Hey, thanks for the help. I'm definitely looking forward to the chance to hunt in that country. I'm assuming the elk will be higher than the deer generally speaking, huh?

I hunt in the McDonough Reservoir area for elk first rifle (1st / 2nd week of Oct). Anywhere from Porcupine Gulch to the Dome.Nice country with lots of road access.In that part of the unit you will see wheelers and people. We see deer every trip. Honestly,with 13 points I'd check my options before diving in 67. The bucks seem young over all. I see a couple decent ones every trip,but I don't know if I would burn 13 points in there. I'm pretty sure I could kill a buck between 150 and 170 given the right weather and season. Nice no doubt,but not spectacular. We camp at 9,800 ft and hunt nearly to timberline. To each his own,but for 13 points I'd do some looking around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back