Co cow muzzleloader question

huntfishcamp

Would like to try Co for muzzleloader cow elk and pouring thru all the data on Co game and fish site. Have no pref points but that doesn't look like it will be a problem. Couple of us want to do a backpacking trip, we are in shape for it, and hopefully hear some bugling bulls, and learn about sept elk habits do our first bow hunt next year. Haven't picked a unit, need to find a good .50 or .54 smokepole, learn about best gear to have for this type of hunt, bullet types, weights for elk, ect, any advice out there? Thanks

Make sure you read the Colorado regs on muzzleloaders very carefully. Sabots, Pyrodex Pellets (or similar), and optics (scopes, red dots, etc) are not allowed. Also you are required to use a 50 cal and 250 gn bullets at a minimum for elk. I shoot a T/C Bone Collector and like it quite a bit. I would look for a unit were they take alot of elk, and there is alot of roadless public land. Good luck

Thanks, I do see the no sabots rule, anyone have good luck with elk using powerbelts? type/weight of powerbelt or other favorite non saboted bullet?

Are .50 cal BP pistols legal? Anyone use them for elk? if so, Can u carry a BP pistol and rifle at same time? Prolly a ? for CO fish and game. Could not find the answer on in regs

Get your rifle as soon as possible, if you go used make sure and ask what that particular muzzle loader shoots best. They all have their sweet powder charge and bullet weight and bullet design. My TC Black Diamond loved the copper jacketed 360 grain power belts with 90 grains of 777. Took me a while to find that load. Many trips to the shooting range. My side locked like 375 grain buffalo bullets and 80 grains of pyodex. As they say "become one with the gun" so shooting it becomes 2nd nature. Then train yourself that after you shoot you do not high tail it after your animal, you stop and reload first. Things like that will need practicing. But sure is worth it. I sure do love black powder.

Would like to try Co for muzzleloader cow elk and pouring thru all the data on Co game and fish site. Have no pref points but that doesn't look like it will be a problem. Couple of us want to do a backpacking trip, we are in shape for it, and hopefully hear some bugling bulls, and learn about sept elk habits do our first bow hunt next year. Haven't picked a unit, need to find a good .50 or .54 smokepole, learn about best gear to have for this type of hunt, bullet types, weights for elk, ect, any advice out there? Thanks

thanks, I have a CVA hunterblt magnum that will shoot 150 grains BP, I havent shot it since around 2003, and I've since heard bad things about that rifle, like the breech plug shooting thru your cheek due to threads stripping. Anyone have comments on this rifle, or anything else BP elk hunting related?

Back