CO Buck

ekimmob

Had the opportunity to harvest this buck opening morning last weekend in Colorado. My sister wanted to go with me, her first big game hunt, and she ended up spotting this guy on the horizon about 1/2 of a mile away. He was slowly making his way away from us, but didn't seem to be in a big hurry.

As soon as he went over the horizon we booked it across a large gully to catch up with him.....hoping that he didn't make it too far over the hill. I got up on to the plateau he was on when we last saw him and started to make my way to the edge. There was a large open bowl out in front us, a river on the left and some small hills to the right, so I knew we'd be able to see him eventually.

I started to glass, far away at first as I made my way to the edge, but didn't see him all the way out there. Eventually I was almost to the edge and he wasn't in sight, until I looked down at the foot of the hill to my left and I saw that unmistakable mule deer back end. He hadn't seen me, so I back off to re-position myself a little bit closer to him for a shot.

I lowered the shooting sticks on my rifle, crept to the edge of the hill and took a seat where I thought I'd line up better with him. It took me another 30 seconds or so to relocate him from my new position, but eventually found him staring right at me. He was under 100 yards from my position, so I held the cross-hairs at the base of his neck and took the shot. He dropped where he was and was gone within a few heartbeats. Nothing feels better to me than a good shot that produces a quick kill.

It was 9 AM on opening morning and my job was complete, though we all know I spent the remainder of the morning taking care of him and getting him back to our vehicle. All in all it was a great hunt and I am thankful for the meat in the freezer. Oh and of course, this was a DIY public land hunt.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting! Mike

lFEqVzl.jpg

X8kkw9S.jpg

Congrats!!!! Heck of a buck! Had been a great first experience for your sister as well. Can't ask for a better hunt than that.

Nice buck.....and it's killed , not harvest...lol....you harvest corn, you kill critters.

Congratulations! Great buck and to get him with family must've been something really special.

Great buck!! Memories for both of you to share! If I brought my sister hunting she'd be yelling RUN DEER!~!!!!!

Yeah, my mom tried to raise her to resist hunting, but she's finally coming around after 35 years. She had a good time at least she told me she did!

Congrats! So, was your sister hunting or just along for the experience and to lend her deer spotting skills?

I don't have her hunting quite yet, but I'm working on it...she didn't even ask to go until the night before. I was planning on solo hunting, so I was happy for the company and an extra set of eyes!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back