Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO Bow Hunter Ed requirements

cmc

A few buddies and I are heading to CO this year to chase deer with our bows. Well we hope once we draw some tags but we have built up some points and should be golden to draw some tags.

We have a few questions on the hunter ed requirements.

First are we right in thinking that you needed to have completed a course and passed before applying for a CO tag?

Second is the bow hunting requirements for CO. I have an AZ combo hunter ed certificate (rifle & bow hunting) That fulfills the CO bow hunting side right? What if you only have taken the AZ standard hunter ed, non combo, what's recommended to be qualifed? Squeeze in an AZ Combo or Archery only or does CO offer quick bow hunting only courses?

Thanks in advance folks.

cmc

Read page 2 of the recently published 2010 Colorado big game booklet. Spells it out in plain language for all the 'what if' scenarios you present. Better to know the facts, personally, than risk getting it wrong based on some opinion on a forum? That said here's an opinion.

If born after 1949 you need a hunter ed card prior to applying in the limited draw. If you are ONLY applying for archery hunts, a recognized bowhunter ed cert will suffice but is not required if you have standard hunter ed. If applying for a gun hunt you must have the regular 'gun' hunter ed card.

A year or so ago, there was some consideration for specifically requiring bowhunter ed for all Colorado bowhunters. It did not pass.

Last edited:
I've been bow hunting in CO on a standard rifle hunter's safety course. Colorado does offer an archery hunter safety course, but that would only be good for archery tags. It's my understanding from reading the regs that any hunter safety course is good for a non resident or resident. I was originally hunting here in my old NY card, but broke down and took the CO one with one of my ex's kids to help him get his.

Back