CO bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn raffles

Thanks to, um, Randy, um, for giving me, um, the opportunity, um, to talk about bighorn, um, sheep management issues, um, in Colorado, in between my ums. Check out the podcast that came out yesterday.
Listening to it now. Great stuff while burying BDA stakes. 😀

Appreciate both you and Randy’s efforts on these issues.

Winners drawn one month from tomorrow! Once your done being kicked by MT and UT today, go take another lick.

Thanks to, um, Randy, um, for giving me, um, the opportunity, um, to talk about bighorn, um, sheep management issues, um, in Colorado, in between my ums. Check out the podcast that came out yesterday.
Awesome podcast! I got 2 tickets after listening!!

I tend to be driven crazy by people with verbal tics like that, but didn't even notice it from you, for what it's worth. Perhaps an example of how one tends to be their own harshest critic?

Great podcast. And a good reminder for this SW Coloradan to get more involved, appreciate it.

Reactions: Oak
Winners drawn one month from tomorrow! Once your done being kicked by MT and UT today, go take another lick.

Great listen.

Question, do you know/have any sense what portion of domestic sheep production occurs in Bighorn allotments. Are most wool growers in the state utilizing high country allotments or allotments near wild sheep or is most domestic sheep production occurring on private land?

Do you know how many distinct owners hold these allotments?

Is it just me or did anyone else notice that handsome fella with the archery goat in the online regs? GQ meets the mountain.
Holy cow a Ross Archery bow? Been a while since I’ve seen one of those

Great listen.

Question, do you know/have any sense what portion of domestic sheep production occurs in Bighorn allotments. Are most wool growers in the state utilizing high country allotments or allotments near wild sheep or is most domestic sheep production occurring on private land?

Do you know how many distinct owners hold these allotments?
There are about 490 federal domestic sheep allotments in the state or within 20 miles of the border.
92 overlap bighorn sheep range
132 additional are within 9 miles of at least one bighorn herd
147 are between 9 and 20 miles distant from a bighorn herd

I'm not sure how many distinct permit holders there are statewide. In SW Colorado (S of Hwy 50, W of SLV), the majority are held by a few. There are about 115 allotments with about 16 permittees, but 7 or 8 of those only have 1 allotment.

There are about 490 federal domestic sheep allotments in the state or within 20 miles of the border.
92 overlap bighorn sheep range
132 additional are within 9 miles of at least one bighorn herd
147 are between 9 and 20 miles distant from a bighorn herd

I'm not sure how many distinct permit holders there are statewide. In SW Colorado (S of Hwy 50, W of SLV), the majority are held by a few. There are about 115 allotments with about 16 permittees, but 7 or 8 of those only have 1 allotment.
Any idea on the gross AUMs of the 147?

I'm just trying to get a handle on the use by the sheep industry, do the 147 constitute 5% of the industry sheep or 95%?

Any idea on the gross AUMs of the 147?

I'm just trying to get a handle on the use by the sheep industry, do the 147 constitute 5% of the industry sheep or 95%?
I'm not sure about that. To be clear about my numbers, there are a total of 371 allotments out of 490 within 20 miles of bighorn sheep. The exceptions are largely in the NW corner of the state (Routt, Moffat, Rio Blanco). Below is rough map showing 20 mile buffers around the bighorn sheep herds.

Buffer.jpg

I'm not sure about that. To be clear about my numbers, there are a total of 371 allotments out of 490 within 20 miles of bighorn sheep. The exceptions are largely in the NW corner of the state (Routt, Moffat, Rio Blanco). Below is rough map showing 20 mile buffers around the bighorn sheep herds.

View attachment 222810
1652803442689.png

I found this... seems like Big Horn areas are also the main domestic sheep areas...

Though I found another article that says 200,000 of the 400,000 CO sheep are in Weld county... sooooo

View attachment 222812

I found this... seems like Big Horn areas are also the main domestic sheep areas...

Though I found another article that says 200,000 of the 400,000 CO sheep are in Weld county... sooooo
If we could flip that map over it wouldn't look so bad. That must be an old map. Looks like a CDOW logo? Do you know what the context was? Interesting that they were producing a livestock map.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back