Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO 3rd or 4th Season?

oh no, we remain extremely generous

up to 35% for y'all currently, generally speaking. then you get kicked to 20% for 6+ pp units, which is not a lot of units.

View attachment 177422

Last year it was 16.7% NR vs 83.3% for Res in GMU 201

CO used to be MORE generous. LOL. Applications used to cost $7.00 per species, if my memory serves me correctly, and I didn't have to buy a license to apply. Now it's around $100.00 for an elk point (including a license and all the ancillary fees). $7.00 x 7 years would have cost ~$49.00 in application fees to be eligible to draw a tag. Now...~$100.00 x 35 years = $3,500.00 in application fees to be eligible. That's over a 7,000% increase! Yep, that's pretty generous alright. LOL.

There are only two auction and two raffle licenses for deer and elk. They are statewide licenses and don't affect the quotas in any particular unit.

I have a ton of information on the history of allocation but don't have time to write it at the moment. Maybe tonight. You are correct that NR allocation has been reduced over the years (60/40 --> 65/35 --> 80/20 in some units). There probably wouldn't be as much heartburn as there is without the preference point scam scheme.

Thank you for responding. I do have a lot of 'heartburn' as you put it mostly because of all the changes over the years that have postponed me being able to actually draw the tag I started chasing, while watching the fees absolutely skyrocket.

Simply put...every change has delayed my hunt while increasing the cost. And unfortunately I don't see that stopping.

Reactions: Oak
Last year it was 16.7% NR vs 83.3% for Res in GMU 201

that's very likely because there were no more than 16.7% NR applicants for that tag.

certainly, colorado used to be more generous, but only by so much. without doing the analysis, i'm pretty confident we're still the most generous state west of the Mississippi.

that's very likely because there were no more than 16.7% NR applicants for that tag.

certainly, colorado used to be more generous, but only by so much. without doing the analysis, i'm pretty confident we're still the most generous state west of the Mississippi.
It's because of the odd number of licenses available for a very limited hunt code. Rounding issue.

It's because of the odd number of licenses available for a very limited hunt code. Rounding issue.

good point. i didn't even think twice about which hunt code we were talking about. makes sense in units with only a handful of tags.

EE201E1R - 28 licenses
First 20% goes to landowners - 10% for unitwide, 10% for PLO. 2.8 licenses for each, round down to 2 each
24 licenses for regular 80/20 allocation (calculated after removing LO) draw
20% go to hybrid (all come from R 80%), 4.8 rounded down to 4
NR get 20%, 4.8 rounded down to 4
R high PP holders get remaining 16

So R = 20 (83.33%)
NR = 4 (16.67%)

Thank you for responding. I do have a lot of 'heartburn' as you put it mostly because of all the changes over the years that have postponed me being able to actually draw the tag I started chasing, while watching the fees absolutely skyrocket.

Simply put...every change has delayed my hunt while increasing the cost. And unfortunately I don't see that stopping.
And the hunt probably wont be what you expect it to be.

Be careful about putting in for a tag in the Gunnison basin. They're having a beetle problem and may have areas closed down.

I'm considering holding onto my points until next year if what everyone is predicting is true that all the high point holders are going to dump this year. Might make my 10 points seem like 13 or 14 next year. They can't kill all the mature bucks with limited tags available.
I wouldn’t bank on that one. You’d be surprised how many bucks will get taken with so many tags during peak rut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back