Caribou Gear

CO 12,23,24

tillicant

Hunting East of Meeker this season,2nd rifle. Elevations look around 8400, I know it depends on the weather but is it worth burning points for a deer tag.
Will try for a cow tag,OTC bull.
Thinking it may be to late for deer.

I would hold off, winterkill looks like it could be awful right now. As far as deer hunting, good mature bucks are few and far in between and that was before this winter. It might be a good year to save or not use points if looking in this area.

I would hold off, winterkill looks like it could be awful right now. As far as deer hunting, good mature bucks are few and far in between and that was before this winter. It might be a good year to save or not use points if looking in this area.
Thanks, good info 👍

We usually try for a combo deer/elk. Think we're going to try for a cow tag & skip the deer. Sounds like a brutal winter.

Or glass half full....Winter kill will carry off the fawns and oldest deer, but those 3 and 4 yr old deer are best equipped to make it thru. If moisture continues into the summer and there is less competition, antler growth should be solid!

Between the winter kill and the states motivation to kill every mature buck in the area the last couple years with high quotas and late seasons, I would likely take the tag for free but I sure in hell wouldn’t pay for it let alone use points on it…

Or glass half full....Winter kill will carry off the fawns and oldest deer, but those 3 and 4 yr old deer are best equipped to make it thru. If moisture continues into the summer and there is less competition, antler growth should be solid!
Haha. Except COW has spent the last couple years trying to kill every buck they can. High quotas with late seasons then compounded with winter kill has destroyed the area for a decade to come.

Haha. Except COW has spent the last couple years trying to kill every buck they can. High quotas with late seasons then compounded with winter kill has destroyed the area for a decade to come.
That sounds more glass half empty...

That sounds more glass half empty...
Maybe even an empty glass! It’s sad what the CPW have done to the herds in the name of CWD. Throw this winter into the mix and it could be the final nail in the coffin

Maybe even an empty glass! It’s sad what the CPW have done to the herds in the name of CWD. Throw this winter into the mix and it could be the final nail in the coffin
It is a huge problem. I know outfitters who refuse to book and deer hunters at all because the numbers and quality are so low. I know this, I will not consider a tag in NW colorado for deer for at least a decade. The numbers and quality are the worst I have seen in my life. I honestly think that SE Montana General deer is a better tag and a better hunt than anything NW Colorado…

Maybe even an empty glass! It’s sad what the CPW have done to the herds in the name of CWD. Throw this winter into the mix and it could be the final nail in the c

It is a huge problem. I know outfitters who refuse to book and deer hunters at all because the numbers and quality are so low. I know this, I will not consider a tag in NW colorado for deer for at least a decade. The numbers and quality are the worst I have seen in my life. I honestly think that SE Montana General deer is a better tag and a better hunt than anything NW Colorad

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back