CLP or ?

hank4elk

I've always been a Hoppes #9 and gun oil guy,50yrs.Bore snakes and cleaning kits. Not anal about cleaning,I use my firearms and they are tools.
I also shoot mz and a guy sold me a aerosol that I thought would eat the synthetic stock,it did change color....
Gun smith guy I met said he only uses the CLP stuff now,for regular maintenance. He had military stuff...........
Any thoughts? Breakfree CLP,Froglube?

Last edited:
clp works great as does hoppes for general cleaning, to remove fouling i use bore tech eliminator (BTE).

CLP is all i use for general gun oil. I do use a bore cleaner for removing copper fouling. There are many good ones out there. I always follow up a good bore cleaning with a patch soaked in CLP for a good oil coating inside the bore.

CLP has changed formulas though after safari(i believe thats the company) bought them out. The new product is way more foamy than the previous stuff but still seems to do the job. What was changed, I have no idea but it does produce more foam, thats for certain.

I use Hoppes #9 for powder solvent. I use it first even if I am going to clean my rifle barrels with a copper remover for the copper fouling.
Butch's Bore Shine for rifle copper fouling (after removing powder fouling first with Hoppes #9)
For a lubricating oil, I use Mobil-1 synthetic oil 5w30. (make sure it is synthetic).
Militec is also good for lubricating, but difficult to find.
I have found that the CLP doesn't really do a great job on cleaning and removing powder or copper fouling. It also seems to be rather thin, and tends to leave the metal dry after several days (on my duty gun anyway) making it appear therre is no oil on it. It does contain Teflon (not sure if that's a good thing or not). It was a really decent product when it first came out years ago, similar to Break-Free, but I think there are better cleaners and lubricants than CLP available now.

Last edited:
Some guy on another forum did an experiment to find the best gun product. Hornady One Shot was consistently in the top 3 for all of the tests. I tried it and love it. Frog lube was good as well if I remember correctly. I haven't tried that one.

Thanks for the input folks.
I'm looking at options to my gun oil and rags in the field,but it has worked. Just tends to collect more dust here in NM. I wipe them down good during hunts.
I'll try some Bore shine after my spring Hoppes clean out. Which follows and similar treatment after season is over....
Sort of ritual,checking screws and such before going to the range to check sight in.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back