Closure of Caribou and Moose hunting in NW Alaska - again...

I am booked with Golden Eagle for 2023. I haven’t reached out to them yet, as I figure they are swamped with other clients asking them questions for which they have no answers. I am in a bit of shock this happened. I know it has been in discussion for a while, but I did not believe this was the likely outcome. Who would have thought such a minor board could close millions of acres of public land to hunting so easily? As a hunter, even if you have zero interest in hunting caribou, this should give you nightmares!

Some info here from the last closure.

Will have to check out those vids. Obviously, this whole thing sucks and yet again it seems like common sense is not common when it comes to game management. I REALLY feel for those that are already booked for hunts in the area. I'm just booking now for 2023 'bou in Northern Brooks, so I don't think we have direct impacts (as of now, anyway) but this kind of stuff really puts in your face that you need to hunt now because it's not going to be around forever.

There is yet another proposal to continue the closure for non qualified individuals... indefinitely. It would still be 5 caribou a day, including cows, for the locals.

The closure is to "conserve" the resource. Non-locals account for 2-300 out of historic harvest of 7-10k. The feds don't even know how many are killed, because locals don't report them.

I foresee at some point in my lifetime, that non-qualified subsistence hunters will no longer get to hunt federal lands in AK.

There are 2 other proposals for elimination of NQ users, one in the ABC islands in SE for deer, and to continue the closure for sheep in the arctic, and expand the area...

Because the ~300 caribou bulls killed by NR every year is definitely the problem.

I have opinions, but nothing that would be appropriate to post.

Because the ~300 caribou bulls killed by NR every year is definitely the problem.

Yeah, damn non residents.

It's certainly not things like this that are the problem...

In the full episode, they drive in their powered boat, and wait for the caribou to cross the river, then drive up by them and shoot them in the head while they're swimming...

I don't understand why they are given the ability to do whatever the hell they want.

as noted in the article they have an incredibly easy comment page. They even let you "vote" on the individual proposals.

as noted in the article they have an incredibly easy comment page. They even let you "vote" on the individual proposals.
Maybe I'm just a little burnt on the caribou deal after all the time and effort I put into the Fed closure. This time it's Alaskans working through the state of Alaska to do even more stupidity... part of me want's to say "good luck with that" the same I have with MT and Mule Deer management.

But yes, very easy to comment, I just have no faith that the comments will do any good as it's probably a foregone conclusion just like last time.

But yes, very easy to comment, I just have no faith that the comments will do any good as it's probably a foregone conclusion just like last time.
But that's no different than most things we comment on or vote for, it doesn't mean there's still no value in doing it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back