Closure of Caribou and Moose hunting in NW Alaska - again...

As a resident familiar with the issues. And just a guy trying to feed my family. This is another attempt by a group that folks that feel that they deserve special rights. Our state constitution says all resources, including wildlife belong to the people equally. I can't say as I blame them for wanting more but at who's expense?
And i as stated, another attack on public lands and the ability for all to have the same operttunities, equally.
There are other special interest groups that believe they have the best solution. I would love the opportunity for our kids n grandkids to have the opportunity to be a guide if they want. The guide association charges everyone who uses their services 250 bucks to pay for lobiests. And state their goals are to protect the rights of non residents. Because they want to be in charge of distributing guide concession areas. On the small amount of state public lands available. Hunting can not be a sport just for folks who can afford it. Competition, just like any other business. Nobody gets special treatment.
NGNs that continually sue in court. Costing money that should go to management.
Enough said. I'm kinda feeling like the bottom of the bowl at times. I'm just a guy who enjoys the outdoors. And this is what happens when more government gets involved.
I do hope this gets figured out. And don't mean to insult anyone, also suspect most of you all already know exactly how this feels anyhows.

It won't be opened up for a long time if I was a betting man. If the herd increases it will be because of limited outside pressure. This tool will be used on all federal lands in AK.

Wait you mean the feds can close hunting on federal lands? They did the same in Unit 13, but that time it was for "safety."

Wonder if the BHA crowd will support transfer of federal lands to the state? They still owe us 10M acres. The state doesn't close hunting.

It won't be opened up for a long time if I was a betting man. If the herd increases it will be because of limited outside pressure. This tool will be used on all federal lands in AK.

Wait you mean the feds can close hunting on federal lands? They did the same in Unit 13, but that time it was for "safety."

Wonder if the BHA crowd will support transfer of federal lands to the state? They still owe us 10M acres. The state doesn't close hunting.
Who oversees the subsistence board?

Does Martha Williams have some power here?

Is anyone aware as to whether 26a hunting is good second week of September? We booked to hunt unit 23 through Golden Eagle Outfitters before all of this crap happened. Not sure if Golden Eagle Outfitters can even get us up to 26a, but if they can I think second week of September will be too late.

Is anyone aware as to whether 26a hunting is good second week of September? We booked to hunt unit 23 through Golden Eagle Outfitters before all of this crap happened. Not sure if Golden Eagle Outfitters can even get us up to 26a, but if they can I think second week of September will be too late.
Can they change up the drop to state lands?

A few days ago I emailed a transporter in Kotzebue for a quote and the the reply was "Contact us again in early April"
I thought "Why not just tell me now"
Now I know why.

That sucks. Going to hunt 26B next year hopefully everyone just doesn’t slam in there.

Anybody have any experience getting a "non-refundable" deposit back from a company not able to provide the service because of Government regulation change?
Talk to you transporter, there may still be good options on state land or on the southern border of 26a which boarders 23. The big issue will be timing of your trip and the migration. If you are going August 20th, that would probably be a good time for 26a based on data from Alaska Fish and Game. For my buddies and I, we were set to go Sept 7-14th, which would be a little late for 26a from my understanding.

Only thing we can hope to do is have our transporter be able to put us in a good spot in 26a at an earlier date, or might have to try and push to next year when we have better date ranges.

We contacted our transporter yesterday and are waiting to hear what our options are.

Most of the caribou are in 26 before they start moving south in September. I believe they also closed the Nigu river (Howard Pass) area in 26A. That's a major migration corridor coming from the north slope. I'm sure there are other areas/passes to hunt in 26a where you could be successful, but not getting to hunt the Noatak is a huge FU to everyone.

The State owns the river channels up to the high water mark and the feds do not have jurisdiction over the hunting on state lands. You'd have to shoot them within the banks but its an option. I know a few people who will be hunting in the "closed" area. Not sure if you can get a transporter to drop you off to do that though.

Just sucks all the way around. We will all continue to lose as more and more restrictions are placed on federal lands in AK and soon to be elsewhere.

The subsistence lifestyle isn't sustainable, they will run out of animals sooner or later.

Back