Climber with Gun Rest

Zim

I've been almost exclusively an archery hunter for the last 20 years, hunting mostly public land in Illinois/Iowa during that time. However, next year I want to include firearm season in Illinois, if not tagged out. I exclusively use Lone Wolf climbers, preferring the light weight 14.7# Assault due to my long hikes in on public. Does anyone have a suggestion for the lightest weight LW or similar climber that features a gun rest? Thanks.

Im an API guy, but you could do a lot worse than a Summit Viper or comparable stand with one of these (made by Summit) added on:6AFF703E-BE51-4E1E-BADA-F3D0299B8E28.jpeg

I know Lone Wolf makes a rifle rail for their sit-and-climb stands, but that one actually weighs a bit more than a Viper and I believe they may have a production hold of some sort on them at this time.

Last edited:
Im an API guy, but you could do a lot worse than a Summit Viper or comparable stand with one of these (made by Summit) added on:View attachment 257901

I know Lone Wolf makes a rifle rail for their sit-and-climb stands, but that one actually weighs a bit more than a Viper and I believe they may have a production hold of some sort on them at this time.
I actually bought one of the XOP sit & climbs 2 years ago for my cousin visiting from China. But he preferred an Assault so I resold it. I'll compare then and the Viper. Not concerned about out of production products because I've found it's much cheaper to buy used ones off Marketplace. All the ones I bought were basically once or never used.

Back shopping again. I found this article, but 20# is pretty heavy for long public land hauls. Weight is more important to me than comfort. Maybe if I’m using my boat.

Im an API guy, but you could do a lot worse than a Summit Viper or comparable stand with one of these (made by Summit) added on:View attachment 257901

I read a ton of negative reviews on the LW rail. All claiming it sat too low to be of any use other than an elbow rest.

Not surprised to hear that- if it was a really useful product it would probably still be on the market. IMO Lone Wolf/XOP/LWC really do hang-ons well, but I don’t love their climber designs.

I’ve been searching for the holy grail like you for many moons- has to be comfortable enough to help me stay in the stand, but always searching for something lighter. I haven’t yet found a better option for my criteria than a Viper or API would offer but I’m certainly not convinced there isn’t something better out there somewhere.

I know a lot of guys will attach a Molle carrying system to the platform of both styles to make carrying more comfortable- I haven’t yet, I just tough it out but have considered it.

Last edited:
Not surprised to hear that- if it was a really useful product it would probably still be on the market. IMO Lone Wolf/XOP/LWC really do hang-ons well, but I don’t love their climber designs.

I’ve been searching for the holy grail like you for many moons- has to be comfortable enough to help me stay in the stand, but always searching for something lighter. I haven’t yet found a better option for my criteria than a Viper or API would offer but I’m certainly not convinced there isn’t something better out there somewhere.

I know a lot of guys will attach a Molle carrying system to the platform of both styles to make carrying more comfortable- I haven’t yet, I just tough it out but have considered it.
Does a regular Viper come with a rail? Is that “add on” rail in your first image different from that?

I am happy to sacrifice comfort for weight. My go to stand today is the 14.7# Lone Wolf Assault climber. It’s just I feel I will need something different for firearm hunting. Our gun seasons are short, so maybe weight won’t be so big an issue. I am using my boat more these days to escape the xgun crowd, so hauling a 20# stand may be OK for 3-7 days.

Have shot lots of deer out of climber stands and never had a gun rest. In most all cases you can use the tree to steady yourself in some manner.
Since you are hunting IL, it's a rather short range proposition anyway given their firearms restrictions. If you can kill them with a bow a firearm should be easy.

Well, the tree is a pretty good rest. The lightest ever was the Tomcat I at under 15#. They're no longer made, but they come cheap used. I don't know if they were ever sold where you are, but it'd be worth the effort to get one if lightweight is a prority.

502861-958ff85329a46f76d4f2eaed2cdd2282.jpg

Don't know if they are still around. Few years ago, had a couple of relatives fall, one paralyzed. Wife bought me a Tree Lounge.
Loved the comfort, but very heavy at over 25lbs

I've been almost exclusively an archery hunter for the last 20 years, hunting mostly public land in Illinois/Iowa during that time. However, next year I want to include firearm season in Illinois, if not tagged out. I exclusively use Lone Wolf climbers, preferring the light weight 14.7# Assault due to my long hikes in on public. Does anyone have a suggestion for the lightest weight LW or similar climber that features a gun rest? Thanks.

Tree saddle works great for me doesn't have a gun rest, I just screw in a tree hook and hang it by the strap. Also have used it as a rest while taking aim to shoot works excellent

That is the set up my Summit Titan has. While the Titan model isnt what the OP is looking for that adjustable rest setup works great.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back