Climate conditions between the Flathead and Bitterroot valleys

Pagosa

Does any of the locals in either the Flathead or Bitterroot valleys know which area has more winter weather, sunshine, rainfall/snow, hot days, etc? I have looked up online and it doesn’t seem to be a major difference between the two areas even through they are 150-200 miles apart. We lived in the Misson Valley previously and it seemed milder and drier than the Flathead, but that was just one year. Thanks for the insight. Preston

Definitely dryer and more sun in the winter down by Polson vs Kalispell. I think Missoula tends to be sunnier in winter too. If not, you definitely don't need to go as far in Missoula to find sun in the winter.

The Flathead is pretty grey most winters. That being said, it's also cooler at night in the summer up here.

Watch KPAX for weather forecast. It has both Hamilton and Kalispell, aswell as Missoula. It will be clear after a few weeks why one is called the banana belt.

There's a reason the Salish and Kootenai used to winter in the Bitterroot. Its often 10 degrees warmer here than Missoula. The mountains shield the valley very well.

I'd say if you want sunshine you have to go east of the divide. It stays overcast for nearly all the winter.

The Root is very similar to Havre. Immigrants will tell you different.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back