Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cleaning Muzzy, how often?

AvidIndoorsman

I'm shooting Buckhorn 209 with 209 primers. Took a shot today, do I need to unload it and clean it tonight if I'm going out tomorrow?

Was a bit wet and rainy today...

Usually I would but apparently the whole benefit of 209 is you don't have to clean as often...

I only ever shot pyrodex or triple 7, but I cleaned any time after I had shot. I would be even more inclined to clean after being out in the rain, just to make sure everything is clean and dry when you go again.

Wet and rainy i would clean it out, other wise I'd give it a week in dry conditions

Just patches or like whole process... I just don't have a great place to fire a cap before I hunt so I'm hesitant to use cleaner...

That being said I can make it happen it that's just what you have to do.

With Blackhorn I don't even use patches unless I am putting it up for the year. I just run a 50cal boresnake with solvent, but that is after 15 shots or so on the range.

I wouldn't worry about the moisture. I have left mine loaded for a week before during CO's early muzzy mulie hunt and it rained/snowed every day on us. It went boom at the trailhead with zero issues.

If it will ease your mind I would clean it. But, I wouldn’t unload and clean mine. I keep my barrel taped with electrical tape and I try to keep it from going hot to cold to hot very fast. During Iowa’s late muzzleloader season in December and January I will leave my muzzleloader loaded (without the primer) but in the truck or garage the entire time and have never had a problem.
I’ve also had it loaded in AK for float hunts where it rains everyday and never had a problem.

How does your gun shoot clean vs fouled? My rifle shoots better fouled up to 4 shots, then starts getting more inconsistent. My previous rifle shot best clean bore and then shots were inconsistent.

Not sure what advice to offer since I don't use the Blackhorn. I use Triple 7 and clean after every shot. It's the only way I've gotten consistency with my rifle. Shooting TC Sabots, for deer. I'd like to switch to something like Blackhorn in the future due to the fouling from the 777.

When I lived in B-more city, I used to pop caps in my back yard all the time. Gunfire and fireworks was pretty common in the city.

I think I would clean it unless you know its sealed well. The moisture you mention would have me worried more about a hang-fire/miss-fire than corrosion.

clean it completely then you will be confident in your weapon

I am with the group that would not clean it. I shoot a CVA Paramount and they say to run a dry patch between shots. I do a full cleaning after several shots but wouldn't even think about cleaning after one shot.

Just patches or like whole process... I just don't have a great place to fire a cap before I hunt so I'm hesitant to use cleaner...

That being said I can make it happen it that's just what you have to do.
Nah, id push the old powder and bullet out, swab it with an oil patch, then a couple of dry patches.

Wait im confused. You said you shot it, but wonder if you should unload it. I always run an ammonia patch followed by dry patches till they come out clean after every patch, but that's because my gun hates being shot dirty. If you shot it and are going out tomorrow, I wouldn't bother cleaning it if you're shooting buckhorn

Nah, id push the old powder and bullet out, swab it with an oil patch, then a couple of dry patches.

Wait im confused. You said you shot it, but wonder if you should unload it. I always run an ammonia patch followed by dry patches till they come out clean after every patch, but that's because my gun hates being shot dirty. If you shot it and are going out tomorrow, I wouldn't bother cleaning it if you're shooting buckhorn
Yes, shot a deer, lost a deer. Going back out to find said deer.

Reloaded gun after shooting deer. I shot 777 and pyrodex and cleaned religiously after every shot, just switched to Buckhorn, hence the question.

Gracias fellas, ended up doing a quick clean... quick because wow 😳 buckhorn... bore looked like a centerfire.

@Bambistew ye old into a pillow in the truck of the car trick worked pretty well... guess I can add that to the list of redneck shit I’ve done...

Gracias fellas, ended up doing a quick clean... quick because wow 😳 buckhorn... bore looked like a centerfire.

@Bambistew ye old into a pillow in the truck of the car trick worked pretty well... guess I can add that to the list of redneck shit I’ve done...

Buckhorn is great, you'll be glad you switched...hope you find the deer!

DO NOT think BH209 will not destroy a barrel if left uncleaned for more than a couple weeks. I destroyed a stainless barrel on a TC Omega by letting it sit for a few weeks, Had to send the thing in to get a new barrel. This is when BH209 was new and there was lots of rumors that it was just like smokeless powder. I think as one person said, if in dry climate a week is fine. Just don't push it like I did

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back