Cleaning hair etc from elk/deer meat

RobG

Saturday I shot an bull elk. I didn't want to damage the antlers or the cape so we boned it out on the spot - which was very awkward since it was on a super steep hillside. Also, the beast was filthy so dust flew off the long hairs every time you touched it. I'm POd because I usually take a lot of care to keep the meat clean in the field but it seemed like each piece came with it's own minor catastrophe that left it dirty.

I usually wipe down the meat to get much of the hair/dirt off but the slime holds onto it pretty good. The pieces are too small to hang to form a rind that could be cut off. I was thinking maybe lightly freezing the meat would make it easier to cut off the junk. Has anyone found a magic trick to make this easier?

Kept the cape, huh? Must have been a smoker bull. Where is the story and pictures? Curious if you were serious about the shorts, too! :D

A plumber's torch will burn the hair off like magic. Hair burns really fast and it won't affect the meat. Wife might complain about the smell of burned hair, but they usually get over that in a week or so.

Then, when you are ready to start the cutting and butchering, wash it in the utility sink to get the dirt and other debris off it. It will dry quickly, especially if you pat it down with some paper towels.

After that, you should be ready to go.

Kept the cape, huh? Must have been a smoker bull. Where is the story and pictures? Curious if you were serious about the shorts, too! :D

Shorts yeah... I was working on it shirtless at 8100 ft. It's not going to break any records, but I thought it might be nice to look at and remember the hunt. Given the cost of a shoulder mount I might just Euro mount it.

Attachments

• elk pack.jpg
    elk pack.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,355
A plumber's torch will burn the hair off like magic. Hair burns really fast and it won't affect the meat. Wife might complain about the smell of burned hair, but they usually get over that in a week or so.

Then, when you are ready to start the cutting and butchering, wash it in the utility sink to get the dirt and other debris off it. It will dry quickly, especially if you pat it down with some paper towels.

After that, you should be ready to go.
Like run the water over it and scrub it good, then pat dry? I was thinking of doing that with one of those scotch pads might grab the goo&dirt. I just thought the water was bad for the meat.

Like run the water over it and scrub it good, then pat dry? I was thinking of doing that with one of those scotch pads might grab the goo&dirt. I just thought the water was bad for the meat.

Yeah, like that. Water is bad for meat if you are gonna let it sit in water for a period of time. That is why I only wash it when it is dirty and if I do wash it, do it right before I process it and make sure it is dry before I freeze it.

I agree with Randy on torching the hair! I've also iced meat in coolers before and as the ice melts, the water will take a bunch of the dirt and hair with it...

I will 2nd the propane torch use, been doing it for years for whitetail and this year on my 1st bull. Works like a charm !
Better yet no water touched the meat, water bad

Why do you say that water hurts meat? It does not hurt it at all, unless you leave it for a long period of time. All it does is pull the blood out of it and make it look pale.

I have a restaurant-type pressure nozzle in my sink that does a real good job of removing hair, but all the methods mentioned work well.

Why do you say that water hurts meat? It does not hurt it at all, unless you leave it for a long period of time. All it does is pull the blood out of it and make it look pale.

That is about what I found. After cleaning with water I used a towel to soak up the extra water and it seemed fine to me.

I thought water promoted bacteria growth and that was why would avoid getting meat wet.

Any moisture left on meat promotes bacteria growth, but washing meat is fine, as long as you do not let it stay over 40 degrees for any amount of time.
get it dry and cool after washing,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back