Chukar Heavon/Hell

Carnivore

Just one of those days, saw a lot of birds but did'nt bring any home. My buddy came up from Salt Lake for a little chukar hunting. The night before I debated on where to go and decided to hike him into a canyon that holds a lot of birds. The only down fall is it's a hike to get there. I enjoy it but my buddy is a little out of shape and lags. We got to the place and I decided to take the high ground, mainly to save him the hike. As we walked in the dog went to point and he got into the first covey but missed. The birds flushed flushed down the canyon so I got to the top and headed over to keep them from going over. I started dropping down and got into chukar heavon; rocky, steep and full of grass. There were tracks everywhere in the snow. I looked back to see where my buddy was and he was still 1/2 mile back. Problem was, I left the dog with him. I came to a draw and there must have been 200-300 chukar in there. Only problem was the snow was crusty and you could'nt walk without being heard. Birds were flushing to far out for any shots. Without help from my buddy it was a dead cause so I just sat and listened to the choir (chukar calling). Still ahd a great time and saw a lot of chukar. With a better hunting partner we would have done better. The main problem was with the crusty snow. With this new stuff on the ground I think I'll take of couple of fellow chukar hunters in there and give them hell.

After we decided to give it up (more so my buddy) we still had a nasty hike out. Needless to say he thinks I'm crazy for hunting chukar. Oh well, his loss.

A friend from Utah came up a couple weeks ago and we did the same kinda hunt! He said it was the toughest hunt he'd ever been on! I told him I was going to get him a chukar even if it killed him.
biggrin.gif
Luckily, he was determined enough and we finally got into the birds and he got his first two chukars with a couple of great shots!
biggrin.gif
He's coming up again in Jan. for some more.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-30-2003 21:03: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I took my friend and his 14 year old son out for chukars a couple weeks ago. Driving there the 14 year old was about to burst with anticipation. Then we stopped the truck and started going up, up, up.

My friend and son were both so out of shape they couldn't do it. Hearing "I'm gonna puke" repeatedly from the teenager was what brought the hunt to an end without even getting up on top where the the birds are.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

I was hoping my buddy was going to get his first chukar, but he did'nt want it bad enough. I had him out last year in a lesser spot and he still could'nt keep up.

I took this guy elk hunting with me and told him before hand to start hitting the hills (months before). I guess people don't believe you when you tell them we will be climbing for awhile. Needless to say he only lasted 2 days during elk season. The same thing applied when he said he was coming up to hunt chukar; I told him it's basically like elk hunting, were going to have a little hike up hill before we start hunting, so be prepared.

I honestly think chukar hunters are a different breed. For me it's the best game bird around, and the amount of public, huntable land is enormous. I usually don't see another soul when I'm out.

16 days left in the season, happy hunting guys.

TO THE HIGH GROUND, CHARGE!!!
smile.gif

Hunting chuckers sounds pretty exciting. Is it always in rough hilly country? Too bad you friend didn't get his first one Carnivore.

Those stories are well worth the read. I have been with friends that just couldn't make the hills to get into the animals, it seems that no matter how nice of an area I hike most people into, they just don't have the determination to come back with me and try again...I hope your friend doesn't get that way!!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back