Chukar 101 help

Carnivore

Need some hunting tips for these bad boys. We (dog and I) find them no problem but after the first flush, the covey is gone. The places we hunt are preety steep. If I approach from the bottom, they run over the top. If I hunt from the top they fly down or around the hill and keep going. We never get to hunt singles. Whats the best way to hunt these guys"

That's why they're a challenge! :D When you flush them generally they'll drop 7 degrees and fly 200-400 yards. They like to land in a draw and they'll stay there if there's good rocks or grass and sage for cover. If there isn't they'll run. In which case you're outta luck unless you can outrun them or have a pointing dog that can so it can point and hold them. :D

I agree with Ithaca. They usually land at about the same elevation. If they land in rocks they stick, if they don't they run uphill until they find rocks.

Thanks gents, I'll keep it mind next time I'm out. I think the main problem is the general location; big, steep hills. There's some descent rock cover but these guys sit about 3/4 up the hill and then flush 1/2 way down the back side (very steep side). Don't get me wrong, I still have a great time, which is why I keep going back for the abuse. :D Thanks again for the info.

No Ith,

I have'nt made it down there yet. A litte far for a 1/2 day hunt, but I do plan on going down before the season ends. I do know of a spot around here that holds 'A LOT' of birds, but you have to hike in a ways to get to it. I guess thats why there's so many chukar there, no one hunts them. I think I'll giv'em a chase Saturday
Like you said, just have to keep looking :D

Thanks.

Back